Lt. Commander
Entering my key into the activation box, I'm taken to a page where I can either subscribe or use a game card. Problem being, I am planning on using game cards, and haven't bought one yet because, well obviously, I still have thirty days left of free time. And its looking like the key doesn't count as "activated" until I've selected a subscription plan! Arghhhh!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Similar issue here. I don't want to put in my billing info because I don't know if I'll want to keep playing a month from now. While not a big deal, it does feel a little like entrapment.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Technomancer View Post
Entering my key into the activation box, I'm taken to a page where I can either subscribe or use a game card. Problem being, I am planning on using game cards, and haven't bought one yet because, well obviously, I still have thirty days left of free time. And its looking like the key doesn't count as "activated" until I've selected a subscription plan! Arghhhh!
Every MMO I have ever played works the same way... the game REQUIRES a subscription to play, but if paying by credit or debit card, it will not be charged until the end of you free 30 days.

If you subscribe by credit or debit card, and you decide that the game isn't for you, as long as you cancel your subscription before the free 30 days run out, you will not be charged.

Like I said, it's just the nature of the MMO beast.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Right, no, the problem is that I never in hell give out my billing information online. I am planning on subscribing, just using game cards every two months. And, seeing as they've presented me with that option, I'm understandably peeved that no-one thought this would be an issue when they set up the system.
I have my product key from Steam, now I'd like to actually use it please.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 12:26 PM
You should have researched it more thoroughly before making your purchase.

Its not them, its you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Much like other MMOs Star Trek Online requires a subscription to play. Your first 30 days is included with your retail purchase of Star Trek Online, and we do ask that you have a payment method set up in order to activate your account. If you decide for any reason not to stay with us past those initial 30 days, you may cancel your subscription at any time, and your credit card will not be charged.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Epic fail because this is not a new concept. Everywhere you buy it from says subscription required in one place or another..
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Much like other MMOs Star Trek Online requires a subscription to play. Your first 30 days is included with your retail purchase of Star Trek Online, and we do ask that you have a payment method set up in order to activate your account. If you decide for any reason not to stay with us past those initial 30 days, you may cancel your subscription at any time, and your credit card will not be charged.

Thanks,

Stormshade
No, agh, stil missing the issue. Its not that I don't plan on playing past thirty days, its that the reason Game Cards were invented, I thought anyway, was so that people could pay to play without giving out their credit card information. I. plan. on. buying. game cards. I will keep playing, Cryptic will get their money. I just haven't bought one yet because they probably aren't even out yet.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
It does make sense, but a line that says card wont be charged till after 30 day period would be nice.

It does say in advertisement Subscription Required - 30 Day trial included with purchase.

Although many people think of 30 day trial as equivelant to a subscription so did not buy a game card to prepare for sign up.

I did the same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
As said, it's SOP for MMOs as far back as I can remember. Free trial, but needs some sort of billing info entered, which will not be charged until 30 days are up. If you're already planning on doing 60 day cards, enter it now and you've got 90 days of play time. Game cards are a relatively new thing and I'm guessin the industry hasn't (or doesn't want to) come up with a way of giving you that 30 days with no billing info.