Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Technomancer View Post
No, agh, stil missing the issue. Its not that I don't plan on playing past thirty days, its that the reason Game Cards were invented, I thought anyway, was so that people could pay to play without giving out their credit card information. I. plan. on. buying. game cards. I will keep playing, Cryptic will get their money. I just haven't bought one yet because they probably aren't even out yet.
I understand what your saying, unfortunatly you still have to have a credit card number of fill with them to open your account even if you use the prepaid cards, it spart of the account more so then part of the billing process
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel_Chekout
You should have researched it more thoroughly before making your purchase.

Its not them, its you.
It's them. I want my free 30 days, and I don't want to have to get a credit card or paypal account to use them, that'd be insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
Epic fail because this is not a new concept. Everywhere you buy it from says subscription required in one place or another..
That'd refer to the time after your free 30 days are over. And I never encountered such a scam when playing other MMOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Much like other MMOs Star Trek Online requires a subscription to play. Your first 30 days is included with your retail purchase of Star Trek Online, and we do ask that you have a payment method set up in order to activate your account. If you decide for any reason not to stay with us past those initial 30 days, you may cancel your subscription at any time, and your credit card will not be charged.

Thanks,

Stormshade
So, and how will I cancel my subscription if I plan to use Game Time Cards? Let me guess, I can't?

I'm furious.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I believe I've seen at least 20 threads similar to this in every MMO launch I've ever participated in. It's standard procedure for an MMO to include 30 days of game time and for the company to ask for billing information up front so they can bill you for the next month. Honestly, they're probably hoping that you'll forget to cancel even if you don't plan on playing past the first 30 days. Regardless, I think there is only one paid MMO out there that doesn't require billing information right at the start. Go ahead and give it to them, and then put the game card code in when they become available or cancel your sub after 30 days, whichever suits you.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulgor View Post
It's them. I want my free 30 days, and I don't want to have to get a credit card or paypal account to use them, that'd be insane.

That'd refer to the time after your free 30 days are over. And I never encountered such a scam when playing other MMOs.

So, and how will I cancel my subscription if I plan to use Game Time Cards? Let me guess, I can't?

I'm furious.
To quote Spock... Fascinating. First, how is it insane to give them your billing information? If you think they're going to steal your credit card and use it to buy a new server, then I have a tinfoil hat I'd like to sell you.

Second, I'm guessing you haven't played many fee-based MMO's then. I may be wrong, but I believe there is only one that doesn't require billing information up-front. The majority do.

Third, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Are you asking if you can use part of a game card and get your money back for the part you haven't used? Answer there is definitely no. On the other hand, if you put in a valid game card before your first free 30 days are up, then it will extend your play time by 30 days, 60 days, whatever the card is for. Your credit card won't be charged until the end of that cycle, and you can continue putting in card codes for as long as you want to extend it indefinitely.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj
I believe I've seen at least 20 threads similar to this in every MMO launch I've ever participated in. It's standard procedure for an MMO to include 30 days of game time and for the company to ask for billing information up front so they can bill you for the next month. Honestly, they're probably hoping that you'll forget to cancel even if you don't plan on playing past the first 30 days. Regardless, I think there is only one paid MMO out there that doesn't require billing information right at the start. Go ahead and give it to them, and then put the game card code in when they become available or cancel your sub after 30 days, whichever suits you.
Then why offer game cards at all?

You can play this game without giving any credit card information, you just need to buy a 30 day game card at the same time you buy the main game and apply it when you sign up. Why should someone have to pay a extra $15 in order to try this game out just because they donít want to use a credit card? Thatís dumb especially since I have not seen the cards available yet.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj
To quote Spock... Fascinating. First, how is it insane to give them your billing information? If you think they're going to steal your credit card and use it to buy a new server, then I have a tinfoil hat I'd like to sell you.
No, I'm afraid that, like happened a few months ago in that big scandal with MBNA, someones going to be accidentally negligent with that data, and the next thing I know I've got a $2000 TV charged to my card.

Are the odds slim? Sure. But, as long as I can buy a game card, why take the risk?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj
I believe I've seen at least 20 threads similar to this in every MMO launch I've ever participated in. It's standard procedure for an MMO to include 30 days of game time and for the company to ask for billing information up front so they can bill you for the next month. Honestly, they're probably hoping that you'll forget to cancel even if you don't plan on playing past the first 30 days.
This. It's a racket, and borderline underhanded, if you ask me. And it's not just MMO's, it's every subscription-based product out there.

I was checking out of Best Buy a few Christmases ago, and they asked me if I wanted a free 2 month subscription to the magazine of my choice. Well, duh! Sure. Then they asked for my credit card number. Yeah, no thanks. There is more of a chance that I will forget to cancel and get charged for something I don't want, than get anything meaningful out of 2 months of some scrub magazine.

It's not billing convenience for all parties. They capitalize on those that are lazy, forgetful, stupid, preoccupied, or whatever else, and are making a fortune off of it. It's *predatory*, really...
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
keep in mind:
- this is the first MMO for many people here!
- many people dont understand english THAT good and if a paypal / creditcard screen pops up they get scared

so plz write EXACTLY down what we have to expect and what happens BEFORE we press that SEND button.

thanks!

i allready paid for a year, why the hell do you still want me to put in my PayPal data?

its a fact many people dont even have a Credit Card or a PayPal account...
even if everyone else is doing it this way, that just means that they are all ignorant.

Prepaid cards are there so you DONT have to have a Credit Card... if you have a credit card or paypal why would you want to buy Prepaid Cards which are probably even more expensive?
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
To OP:

This is how EVERY not free to play online game I have ever played works and even some "free" ones. You need to subscribe to the game in order to use your free 30 day. I think I can break this down for you.

You bought a game, by default, the game has 0 play time associated with it. The game company being super cool peps have decided that you get a free 30 days of play when you subscribe. In order to subscribe you need either a) a credit card or b) a game card. Since you probably can not walk into a store and buy a game card for STO you will need a credit card. If you do not want to give up you personal info I suggest walking into a store and getting a prepaid credit card, specifically for this game so that you can play right away. If you choose not to fall in line like EVERYONE else in the game that is strictly your decision but I can assure you no one is going to change the "system" just for you and there is no need to furher vocalize your "issue" in the forums.

Also I do empathize with your situation. I hated the idea on my 1st subscription required game as well. I even hate buying a game online via downloading it. I want the pin, case, dvd, guide book and all the goodies inside the box. This is why I went into my local Game Stop and bought the game in a store. This also helps people keep jobs.

I hope to see you in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe they just need a good way of verifying you are old enough to have access to a credit/debit card.

MMORPG gaming is especially addictive you know.

edit: yes, this is mildly sarcastic..