Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortius View Post
To OP:

This is how EVERY not free to play online game I have ever played works and even some "free" ones. You need to subscribe to the game in order to use your free 30 day. I think I can break this down for you.

You bought a game, by default, the game has 0 play time associated with it. The game company being super cool peps have decided that you get a free 30 days of play when you subscribe. In order to subscribe you need either a) a credit card or b) a game card. Since you probably can not walk into a store and buy a game card for STO you will need a credit card. If you do not want to give up you personal info I suggest walking into a store and getting a prepaid credit card, specifically for this game so that you can play right away. If you choose not to fall in line like EVERYONE else in the game that is strictly your decision but I can assure you no one is going to change the "system" just for you and there is no need to furher vocalize your "issue" in the forums.

Also I do empathize with your situation. I hated the idea on my 1st subscription required game as well. I even hate buying a game online via downloading it. I want the pin, case, dvd, guide book and all the goodies inside the box. This is why I went into my local Game Stop and bought the game in a store. This also helps people keep jobs.

I hope to see you in the game.
Thanks, and I will be in the game. It takes more than this to stop me.
I didn't post this for them to change the system, so much as I posted in the hope that I'd either get told "oh, no, you've got it wrong, you missed this button here" or "oh, thats currently a bug in the system, we're working on it."
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj
To quote Spock... Fascinating. First, how is it insane to give them your billing information? If you think they're going to steal your credit card and use it to buy a new server, then I have a tinfoil hat I'd like to sell you.

Second, I'm guessing you haven't played many fee-based MMO's then. I may be wrong, but I believe there is only one that doesn't require billing information up-front. The majority do.

Third, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Are you asking if you can use part of a game card and get your money back for the part you haven't used? Answer there is definitely no. On the other hand, if you put in a valid game card before your first free 30 days are up, then it will extend your play time by 30 days, 60 days, whatever the card is for. Your credit card won't be charged until the end of that cycle, and you can continue putting in card codes for as long as you want to extend it indefinitely.
The point is: I don't HAVE any billing information, because I don't have a credit card or a paypal account. Why is that so unthinkable? I live in Europe, here people don't have a dozen credit cards in their wallet like in the US.
And you my be right to a degree, because this is my first MMO that isn't based in Europe, so that might be different.

What I'm asking for would be to give GTC users the same right to cancel their subscription after using the free 30 days, but I see that that will be impossible. So I'm just angry, because there doesn't seem to be a solution for me and Cryptic doesn't care.

So I'll have to buy the GTC for 27Ä to use my "free" 30 days and then enjoy 60 more, whether I want to or not.

Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brac
Then why offer game cards at all?

You can play this game without giving any credit card information, you just need to buy a 30 day game card at the same time you buy the main game and apply it when you sign up. Why should someone have to pay a extra $15 in order to try this game out just because they donít want to use a credit card? Thatís dumb especially since I have not seen the cards available yet.
Again, you don't *have* to buy a game card to play. Give them a card number, and cancel the sub before 30 days. I'm not saying it's a great model, but it's the norm for every MMO out there. It'd surprise me a lot more to see a new MMO that didn't require it than to come to that little credit card number field.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortius View Post
This is how EVERY not free to play online game I have ever played works and even some "free" ones. You need to subscribe to the game in order to use your free 30 day. I think I can break this down for you.
People are not listening to what is being said.

You do NOT need a credit card to play this game. What you do need however if you want to pay by time card is to buy a 30 day card when you sign up effectively buying 60 days of game time in order to use the time card method. What that means is that if you are a credit card user you can just buy the retail version of the game, give your credit card, play for 30 days and cancel. However if your time card user you have to buy 60 days up front. Thatís what is not right about this.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I can relate to the OP. Why should you provide credit card information and other information if your product comes with 30 days. It should only require that information after the 30 days. Sure you should have the option to include it prior, but it shouldn't require it if you are not on 'bought' time.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulgor View Post
The point is: I don't HAVE any billing information, because I don't have a credit card or a paypal account. Why is that so unthinkable? I live in Europe, here people don't have a dozen credit cards in their wallet like in the US.
And you my be right to a degree, because this is my first MMO that isn't based in Europe, so that might be different.

What I'm asking for would be to give GTC users the same right to cancel their subscription after using the free 30 days, but I see that that will be impossible. So I'm just angry, because there doesn't seem to be a solution for me and Cryptic doesn't care.

So I'll have to buy the GTC for 27Ä to use my "free" 30 days and then enjoy 60 more, whether I want to or not.

I don't use credit cards, but I do have a debit card (with no line of credit). I don't believe in credit, but that doesn't mean I want to stay in the stone age.

Please don't be pig headed and make this a US/UK issue.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:

All arguing about the merits of the system aside... Do you have a debit card with a Visa/Mastercard logo? You can always use that instead of an actual credit card. I'm not familiar with the system in Europe, but it's now rare to see a debit card that can't be used in place of a credit card in the US (with the possible exception of car rentals, although most of those take debit cards now too).
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
It's them. I want my free 30 days, and I don't want to have to get a credit card or paypal account to use them, that'd be insane.

That'd refer to the time after your free 30 days are over. And I never encountered such a scam when playing other MMOs.

So, and how will I cancel my subscription if I plan to use Game Time Cards? Let me guess, I can't?

I'm furious.

You must have not played any P2P MMOS because every single one is like that. You buy the retail box, enter key, enter some sort of billing info and off you go to enjoy the free 30 days.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm in the same boat, no credit card. this is.. highly annoying.. I know with CO I could cancel at the payment screen and not have to pay, this was a nice feature for me as I intend to pay with cards
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
You must have not played any P2P MMOS because every single one is like that. You buy the retail box, enter key, enter some sort of billing info and off you go to enjoy the free 30 days.
This is a poor argument. Just because every other MMO does it, doesn't make it ok.

I don't agree with the OP, but I'm tired of this argument being repeated as if its an answer to his problem.