Lt. Commander
# 41
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylr616 View Post
You could always pick up a cheap Cash Visa/MC card. You should be able to buy one from your nearest department store and register it online... BAM... you have a credit card you can use to start the account (and you can spend the money on the card on cheesburgers if you really want).

That brings the 30 days down to game price + cost of Visa/MC Cash card.
This is another good suggestion. That way, folks who don't know if they'll want to play beyond 30 days can use the cash card for something else.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Technomancer View Post
No, agh, stil missing the issue. Its not that I don't plan on playing past thirty days, its that the reason Game Cards were invented, I thought anyway, was so that people could pay to play without giving out their credit card information. I. plan. on. buying. game cards. I will keep playing, Cryptic will get their money. I just haven't bought one yet because they probably aren't even out yet.
No... It's not so people can play without giving out billing information. Well, that's a side-effect of it. It's so that people WITHOUT a credit card can still pay to play.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennavi
This is another good suggestion. That way, folks who don't know if they'll want to play beyond 30 days can use the cash card for something else.
Exactly! I have bought these guys for my older (paranoid) relatives that wanted to start getting in to online purchases.

The newer ones even give you the option to go online and register the card to your name/zip, so to the e-tailers it looks just like a normal CC. No over drafts... no credit line... very easy and versatile.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
No, agh, stil missing the issue. Its not that I don't plan on playing past thirty days, its that the reason Game Cards were invented, I thought anyway, was so that people could pay to play without giving out their credit card information. I. plan. on. buying. game cards. I will keep playing, Cryptic will get their money. I just haven't bought one yet because they probably aren't even out yet.
just get yourself a game time card and use that,, look at it this way you wont have to get a game time card for 3 months
as the gametime card will addon to what you already have
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulgor View Post
It's them. I want my free 30 days, and I don't want to have to get a credit card or paypal account to use them, that'd be insane.
You DO get free 30 days. But you have to provide billing information. This is how it is for EVERY SINGLE PAY-TO-PLAY MMO ON THE MARKET. Cryptic is not doing anything any different than what every other MMO company does, with millions of players having absolutely no problem with it, because they understand, unlike you, that they DON'T GET CHARGED UNTIL AFTER THE FREE 30-DAY TRIAL...

Quote:
That'd refer to the time after your free 30 days are over. And I never encountered such a scam when playing other MMOs.
Which MMOs would those be? I don't know of a single MMO that isn't handled identically to the way Cryptic is doing it.

Quote:
So, and how will I cancel my subscription if I plan to use Game Time Cards? Let me guess, I can't?
That is correct... you can't. Why? Because retailers do not refund time cards. And you have to scratch off the coating on the back to expose the game time card's pin number. And once used, that number is no longer any good. Once used, it credits your account with however many days of access it is supposed to grant. You already paid for it so it is prioritized before any other subscription method. But since it immediately adds the time to your account which goes into effect immediately after your free trial ends, you receive what you paid for. And if I am not mistaken, it's written on the back of time cards that once redeemed, it cannot be refunded.

Quote:
I'm furious.
I'm a capricorn. Now go off into your corner and scream...
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
This discussion is silly.

The "big" players in this game category handle game subscriptions the exact same way, all with different options and rewards, but all very similar in nature.

Of those that are the big players you have to enter billing information to get your free 30 days. You can cancel 3 seconds later if you want of course.

Further more if you do not have a credit card then suck it up and purchase a Game Time Card. If your unwilling to do that, then you should have done your research BEFORE you purchased the game.

In a few months there will be an option for a trial account. I suggest those who are unwilling to spend the money now wait till that option is offered.

* Almost every game in this category has a trial account option.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
game time cards are out, at least here saw some at Best Buy While on lunch.