Career Officer
# 1 Fleet Ships For Fleets members
12-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I have noticed players wanting access to Fleet material and Fleet ships. Something in the back of mind just groans. After completing a fleet to highest Tier why would any one want to give access to someone who did not want to do the work.

That said if a person joins a fleet that player should remain in that fleet and be active for a given number of weeks. If the player quits that fleet before time is up than the Fleet ship is reverted to modules and basic ship or just the basic ship.

Just one Person's opinion
Captain
# 2
12-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshultz View Post
I have noticed players wanting access to Fleet material and Fleet ships. Something in the back of mind just groans. After completing a fleet to highest Tier why would any one want to give access to someone who did not want to do the work.
Yes, everyone who isn't in a huge fleet at tier 5 must be lazy bastards wanting only to mooch off of everyone else. Clearly there aren't any issues at all preventing players from making progress in the fleet holdings...

Career Officer
# 3
12-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
If the player quits that fleet before time is up than the Fleet ship is reverted to modules and basic ship or just the basic ship.
This is a bad idea and you should feel bad.

As is the nature of Very Large Fleets, we've got a main T5 fleet and a second fleet that is very loosely Romulan-themed and filled with alts (as our main fleet is quite full). So we frequently have to transfer members back and forth. Some go one way to get ships, some go the other way for easier contributions.

Additionally, many of our members have toons in our fleets but also have toons in other fleets, and once they've earned shop access we'll bring in their alts to grab a ship and go.

What you're proposing would be devastating for our members.

You're free to set whatever requirements you want for your fleet's members. Our "probationary" period is fifteen days (plus a small contribution amount), and you're free to make your members wait longer if you want (and if they're willing to put up with it). But buying a fleet ship is just like buying anything that's a 1-time purchase- it's yours forever or until you delete it. And so it must remain.
Career Officer
# 4
12-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Honestly, I don't mind if someone asks for a ship (I don't have a T5 yet, but T4 is done, and we are well on our way to T5). Why am I will to grant free access to the shipyard? Well I have more fleet ship provisions than I have fleet members (by a factor of 3 by the way)... and well, its the right thing to do.

I feel for those who are in a small fleet, trying to work on the base with a group of friends... If by me helping out with access to my shipyard, and they have the modules and credits... then why not? It costs me very little to be nice... and they are happy and appreciative... seems to me its a win win

I suppose if I were running tight on ship provisions my story would change, and I'd have to hold off on the free invites until I had a surplus of provisions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Lieutenant
# 5
12-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
After completing a fleet to highest Tier why would any one want to give access to someone who did not want to do the work.
Because it's a nice thing to do?

Don't ask me. I don't have a T5 shipyard. But if I did, I probably would. There's precedent in my actions in previous MMOs.

But there's plenty of people out there who do have them and give free access to come by a T5 ship. I suspect that they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Yes, that does still exist in people. It's rarer than it should be, but those that do it are the people we should be aspiring to be like. It gives me renewed faith in human nature.

.. Unlike the people who say "This is mine and I worked hard for it and even though it costs me nothing to share it, you still can't have it."

Did you forget all of those lessons they taught you in sesame street?

Last edited by raphaeldisanto; 12-20-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Commander
# 6
12-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Well I for one fully intend on giving people access via public service channel to our fleet maps once we have them fully upgraded.
Personally I have found that there are times in between working fleet projects and waiting for the xp to wind up to the next upgrade level that I myself have gotten a little impatient at times. Its not that we're not working hard for these tiers (we really are) but it does help to keep people in a fleet as it grows by offering access to these provisions. In some cases I see this as helping smaller fleets as people are less likely to leave for the shiny shinys if they can get them through something like the public service channel.
I think its part of the spirit of things to attempt to aid your fellow player, yes sadly there will always be asshats but at least sometimes you get to help a decent hard working player along the way
Captain
# 7
12-31-2013, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Something in the back of mind just groans. After completing a fleet to highest Tier why would any one want to give access to someone who did not want to do the work.
Because kindness is a virtue in the real world. Obviously not in yours.
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-31-2013, 03:01 AM
to be honest... i give away so many fleetships, for the most part, out of spite.
if your fleets bread and butter is paid access, dont demote your coleader and declare war on the sister fleet, you idiot.
free jkname
HouseOfBeautiful.org | /channel_join House of Beautiful
free t5 access for all!! | /channel_join NoP Public Service

Last edited by tehbubbaloo; 12-31-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Captain
# 9
12-31-2013, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
Because kindness is a virtue in the real world. Obviously not in yours.
especially if being kind doesn't cost anything for the person that gives it away. Srsly i can't think of one reason to not give people access to high tier fleets.
Go pro or go home
Empire Veteran
# 10
01-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Quote:

That said if a person joins a fleet that player should remain in that fleet and be active for a given number of weeks. If the player quits that fleet before time is up than the Fleet ship is reverted to modules and basic ship or just the basic ship.

Just one Person's opinion
Well, I obtained a T5 ship by paying 25 mil EC to another fleet (in addition to providing my own fleet modules) - so they did not do badly from the deal! I left my own fleet briefly, bought the ship, then came back again.

Seriously, though, once you've sunk the development costs, why not sell the capacity? It's not like there is anything else to do with it once your own members are kitted out. This is really the only option for guys in small fleets to get access to high-tier ships and it would be a shame to lose it.

Equally, it's not a question of "doing the work". Players "work" just as hard in small fleets but lack the critical mass to make rapid progress. There is no easy answer to this - as the endless debates on these forums prove - but taking away the one workaround which exists is *not* going to help.