Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div-II
No. They're completly pointless, there is only one left of a ship and one left on a target...etc. And besides they mean the same thing so why not just cal it what it is when they mean the same thing..
They are absolutely valid terms. Ask anyone who has served in the Navy. Left and right are the substitute terms here, not the other way around.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Um... because port and starboard are confusing? How are they anymore confusing then fore and aft? Shouldn't they have dumbed down it a bit to front and rear? "Rear shields are failing." ("Snicker snicker.. she said 'rear'!!!"). :p

Really... the game industry is going to heck. A little bit of education never hurt anyone. And its not like they would be trying to teach us the complex formulas involved in orbital mechanics (Yes, I'm sure some of you think they are easy.).

STOP WRITING FOR THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR!!!

Build me a smart game and I'd pay three times the sub-price for it. Like... um... thrusters for docking and z-flight!!! Jeezie'la'weezie!

/carebearstare...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm all for Port and Starboard being used. After all, they're the correct terms. Plus, if people don't know what Port and Starboard mean, then what better medium to educate them than a video game?

Using the terms left and right can ruin the immersion from time to time. Small point, but well made by the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Usually when the voice tells me a shield is down, I already know it.

Left and right is ok and yeah it isn't "proper" but it isn't a big deal.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
They fit the canon though.

And it isn't like it would take long to learn. Port side failing, look at icon, oh, that's the left side. Couple of times and you'll know, never be confused when reading a book about ships again.
You see, you prove my point and the funny thing is you don't even realize it. You just said yourself

"Port side failing, look at icon, oh, that's the left side. Couple of times and you'll know"

Now, you say port side cause the "left" of the ship is failing, so say left. It's all semantics, just say what it is. There is only one left no matter how you look at it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div-II
...There is only one left no matter how you look at it.

Actually no your statement is false. Its all relative, Port and Starboard are used to give a universal term to which side a ship is.

To completely discount your point, say you are sitting on a boat. You are sitting on the bow of the boat facing the stern (front facing the back). Your left would be the starboard (right) side of the ship. From your POV the right side of the ship (starboard side) is your left.

Telling someone to look on the port side of the ship is far more easier than telling someone to look to the left. Their question would be; whos left? My left, or your left. The distinction is small, but there IS a difference.

I dont see what the problem is in calling the sides of a ship by their proper titles.

As I stated and as others have pointed out, if you didnt know which side port and starboard actually are in real life, then what better way to find out then in a video game. Maybe this can help silence all of those idiotic critics who say video games degrade the education of the youth of america.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayy View Post
While battling in space you get notices when your shields start dropping. For your front and back shields the warning says fore and aft, which is appropriate. However for the left and right shields the warning just says left and right... WHY???

Why didn't you make it Port and Starboard??? This is the one thing in the game that has annoyed me the most.

I understand making it simple for those who dont know which side is which, but having those terms in the game would teach those who didn't know which side port and starboard is.

That is all.

You know.. I totally agree... It wouldnt take long to figure out which is port and which is starboard.. I dont know which is which either... But first time one failed i would have it figured out.. :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlore
I'm all for Port and Starboard being used. After all, they're the correct terms. Plus, if people don't know what Port and Starboard mean, then what better medium to educate them than a video game?

Using the terms left and right can ruin the immersion from time to time. Small point, but well made by the OP.

well said...

and exactly.. why cant a video game have a little lesson in it..

Maybe one day you will be on a boat and someone will scream out... MAN OVER BOARD PORT !!!

and now you saved his life just cause you were playing STO.. and learned that port was left (i read it in this thread lol ) and you tossed over a life ring.. the man lived and now you are best freinds !!

Instead they kept it left.. You had no clue. and just tossed it left..(which happend to of been right). a man dies... and cryptic gets sued cause its their fault for not teaching you... what port was.. better watch out crytpic.. get this changed quick..

LIVES DEPEND ON IT !!