Lt. Commander
# 1 STO a little to easy?
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I've played MMO's for about 15ish years and I have to say STO is an enjoyable game, but playing the last few days it strikes me as a bit easy. U die you respawn close to your point od destruction with no ill effects to speak of. Long term or even with retail launch is this going to change? Gear degredation to put you in stardock for repair is a good start, respawns less clumped is another. If there is no challenge no bragging rights and all that.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
There was a dev quote the other day more or less saying that as well as other issues they are indeed looking at the difficulty level.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I have to agree, i ran into a klingon fleet with my power directed to engines, and still won. There needs to be harder enemies and a death penalty
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Enemies get progressively more difficult as it is. Taking on Romulans is a lot harder than Klingons, for instance, since Romulans use more abilities. A lone Warbird can sometimes prove a challenge when they disable you or tractor you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
No doubt it will get harder, but with no penelty one just needs to get in range blow specials die rince and repeat to wear the enemy fleet down. A lose isn't a lose without something at risk afterall. Overall the game is pretty stellar for an inital launch. Anyone who thinks this will rival WoW or EQ out of the box needs thoer head examined, but the change in difficulty will be easier for people sooner than later. If its done a year or even 6 months from now the forums will flow with Emo fanboy tears.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Combat at low lvls is easy. It gets more challenging at higher lvls
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Again its about no penelty at death not diff at higher levels.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't know about you, but getting defeated at end battle of mission and then having to go back from spawn point and the the mission has replaced all the kills to try again from start. That was painful enough death penalty.

In a mission and you get respawned far away from your group and you need to navigate hostiles to get back is bad enough. Its next to impossible to escape in space battles, to there are not many escape maneuvers when you get over your head.

Finally you can always make the game harder by just attacking higher level enemies, using lower tier ships and such. The game is fun and is not designed for hard core gamer.
Lt. Commander
# 9 not easy
02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
this game is not is easy, took me 4 days to get lvl 11!!!
and thats fine by me, i dont want it to be like champion online. when you can get to max lvl in one week for hardcore gamers and a month for casual players
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
The pace of leveling isn't my point with difficulty. Its easy to pick up, but some of the details in the skills could be refined I think. I suppose if godmode is how u like to roll no risk is greay, but it grows old if you are not challenged with failure in a sense on economic penelty or other.