Empire Veteran
# 1 Best PvP Energy type?
01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
If I'm going to get some fleet beam arrays, what damage type is best? Is their better stuff than fleet? I've got a lot invested into AP, but is that a wise energy choice for a DPS/Tank?
Career Officer
# 2
01-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Thats a tall order to answer actually.

Each weapon type has its merits to some extent. A lot of people go for the proc associated with the energy type (i.e. phaser have a potential to knock a system offline, polaron will drain power, disruptors lower enemy defence values, etc etc etc)

I believe in the end you'll get a variety of answers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Empire Veteran
# 3
01-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Agreed with Johnny. I mean, for certain things some energy types are better. Like I generally recommend a mix of Polarons and Chroniton weaponry if a person is gonna focus on a drain build. But it doesn't mean you can't use those weapons outside of that. Chronitons are kinda weak in terms of damage, but their proc is awesome. Polarons aren't bad either, but if you aren't specced into Flow Caps, it can feel a bit lackluster on it's proc.

There's no single 'right' answer. Which honestly is a good thing.

Empire Veteran
# 4
01-20-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm focusing on a tanky recluse but I want to be able to score above 10k DPS. My fleet only has a Tier 1 spire so it'll be a bit before I can get elite mesh weavers. Unless I misunderstand where the weavers come from. So, I'll be running a cmdr tac, and the rest of the stations are set. Science, probably grav well or viral matrix.
Captain
# 5
01-20-2014, 12:31 PM
hm..when I'm running a toon from 40 to 50, I like to use a mix of Polaron/Chroniton/Jem'set on my bird of prey builds. It seems to just...work.

Plus, parts are cheap. over fifty and I tend to revert back to Disruptor builds with a transphasic chaser.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 6
01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
In my mind. against the masses...polaron just seems so...devastating.

Against proper papers who will swap a resb for a resa shield. I'd like to say antiproton...but I couldn't really say. I'm not in the elite circle
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Career Officer
# 7
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
As a healer beam boat Polaron helps to weaken the opposing team so teammates can bring them down. But as others stated every energy has it's place.
http://www.libertytaskforce.com
Empire Veteran
# 8
01-20-2014, 12:57 PM
See my problem is I invested a lot into Mk XII blue AP mags, so is AP bad for PvP? Especially as a tanky DPS.
Captain
# 9
01-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
In my mind. against the masses...polaron just seems so...devastating.
Polarons show 64.7 power drain for 5 seconds @ 318 flow caps. Personally, my favorite weapons are polarized disruptors. You get to weaken targets even more.
Captain
# 10
01-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
See my problem is I invested a lot into Mk XII blue AP mags, so is AP bad for PvP? Especially as a tanky DPS.
Well antiproton is good for the base damage crits so it's much better for cannons then beams.

Plus there's the Spire stuff...so ouch.

I wouldn't say they are the best choice. But energy type alone won't determine the outcome of a match
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree