Lt. Commander
Suggestion for Ranks:

0 ENSIGN
1 LIEUTENANT JUNIOR GRADE
2 LIEUTENANT
3 LIEUTENANT COMMANDER
4 COMMANDER
5 CAPTAIN

For Captains that are also leaders of Fleets, give them the rank of FLEET CAPTAIN or ADMIRAL, which is a rank only given to FOUNDER and OFFICERS of a fleet. The whole "everybody is an Admiral" thing is just... weird, and it diminishes what should be an awesome thing in the game. Being a full Captain of a Starfleet vessel (or Klingon Defense Force vessel, for all you Klingons).

Just my opinion, but I'm a Trek fan. I don't want to be an Admiral. Admirals don't get to explore the galaxy.

EDIT 1:

From later in the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement0
Captain is the most ICONIC rank (in Star Trek Lore - editor)
Yes, Cryptic has repeatedly said this isn't going to change. That's fine. We're not going to quit playing over something like this, but it really is inarguably unpopular. Frankly, as the game matures, and 95% of the online players reach end game, it will make the game comical. What's the selling point? "Team up with other Admirals to fly off and perform dangerous end game missions?" Wait, Admirals go out and do dangerous end game missions? Admirals team up?

*shrug* Don't change it if it's that big of deal. I'm still going to play, either way. It does make it a lot harder to take the game seriously.

EDIT 2:

Put the Admiral title for Fleet Officers. (Note: I reiterate that Cryptic has said they do not plan on changing this.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I can agree with this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Agreed as well... But won't really matter I don't think.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
This isn't something we plan on changing folks.

For those of you who never want to be seen as an Admiral by other players, at each rank you gain a title unlock. If you never choose to use the "Admiral" title, players will not see you as an Admiral.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

For those of you who never want to be seen as an Admiral by other players, at each rank you gain a title unlock. If you never choose to use the "Admiral" title, players will not see you as an Admiral.

Thanks,

Stormshade
It's not that is disapprove of Admiral but why did you skip Commodore?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

Thanks,

Stormshade
I figured as much. It's fine. I don't know if you're not hurting your ability to add on expanded content/ranks later, though. Thanks for the reply, even if it is a shoot down!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
It's always strange, the way most MMOs put everyone on some "unique epic" journey without any thought to how everyone having the exact same "unique" achievements gives everyone less character.

Though the idea of there being a million admirals in the federation bureaucracy does lead to some mind-bendingly amusing revelations about the Star Trek universe.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Rear admiral lower half replaced the commodore rank in starfleet during the 24th century.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Per canon Trek, Commodore was replaced by Rear Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpfisher
It's always strange, the way most MMOs put everyone on some "unique epic" journey without any thought to how everyone having the exact same "unique" achievements gives everyone less character.

Though the idea of there being a million admirals in the federation bureaucracy does lead to some mind-bendingly amusing revelations about the Star Trek universe.
Yeah, that's another thing that I'm concerned about. LOL It's just one of those immersion busting things that should be taken into consideration in an MMORPG, but rarely is.