Lt. Commander
# 131
02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
This isn't something we plan on changing folks.

For those of you who never want to be seen as an Admiral by other players, at each rank you gain a title unlock. If you never choose to use the "Admiral" title, players will not see you as an Admiral.

Thanks,

Stormshade
This makes perfect sense, except this is a MMO not a single player game.... But as it plays like a single player game....

All the TV shows and movies evolved around a Captain not Admiral.. Kirk was an Admiral and gave it up to go back to being a Captain. IE: If you are in Star Fleet and are in command of a ship you are a Captain. To use the rank Admiral for players disgust me, as I am sure it will most Trekies.

It's nice to see the player base gets listened to.... to bad thats all they will do is listen..

So Star Fleet has 10k Admirals and 200 Captains.... blaa what ever.. lame

/endrant
Lt. Commander
# 132
02-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurataigiere
Commodore doesn't exist in Trek canon anymore. It was replaced with Rear Admiral.
you didnt realy follow the thread did you? some guys in the start wanted a commodore rank. i explained why that rank isnt a real rank
Lt. Commander
# 133
02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpfisher
It's always strange, the way most MMOs put everyone on some "unique epic" journey without any thought to how everyone having the exact same "unique" achievements gives everyone less character.

Though the idea of there being a million admirals in the federation bureaucracy does lead to some mind-bendingly amusing revelations about the Star Trek universe.
Hint, all other admirals are Changelings that want to think that you have a large group of peers... Look at those shifty beady eyes. Rawr.
That or someone with an desk job and got a sugar high and decided to promote everyone... Starfleet Command is currently checking into whether these allegations are true...
Lt. Commander
# 134
02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Lt. Commander
# 135
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Lt. Commander
# 136
02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Did they or did they not have Flag Captains. That is the question. Not if they saw combat or not. A distinction you seem quite incapable of understanding.
Meh... I gave you examples of proof that Admirals are not all pencil pushers.

Regardless this topic is over per Stormshade's post.

Just so you know, you can keep your rank as "Captain" as a title regardless of being "admiral" and you can also set your stripes as being Capt as well.

If I wanted to I could set my title as Ensign, and have one pip and fly around in my Star Cruiser as an Ensign.
Lt. Commander
# 137
02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Someone famous once said, "What's in a name?" with that in mind I don't really have an issue with any of the ranks, its all just on the surface fluff, but if anyone wants to know my personal opinion it would be nice to have an option to choose.
At some point, maybe at time of your first promotion you could set your career path and have it end at Captain or whatever. I think Captain makes tons more sense, when you are at Captain if you start to do things the STO equivalent to raiding where you are telling a lot of ships what to do, then just leave an open ended option to become an Admiral that is only a cosmetic change.
Which some would argue already exist... and I tend to agree. Just if it's not something hard to implement I don't see why not make both sides happy.
Lt. Commander
# 138
02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Captain for life! You can always set your displayed rank and RP it as you wish. If you want to be really awesome, play an epic ensign.