Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpfisher
It's always strange, the way most MMOs put everyone on some "unique epic" journey without any thought to how everyone having the exact same "unique" achievements gives everyone less character.

Though the idea of there being a million admirals in the federation bureaucracy does lead to some mind-bendingly amusing revelations about the Star Trek universe.
Yeah, that's another thing that I'm concerned about. LOL It's just one of those immersion busting things that should be taken into consideration in an MMORPG, but rarely is. Yes, it's a minor detail, but it's still something that's relatively easy to fix.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurataigiere
Suggestion for Ranks:

0 ENSIGN
1 LIEUTENANT JUNIOR GRADE
2 LIEUTENANT
3 LIEUTENANT COMMANDER
4 COMMANDER
5 CAPTAIN

For Captains that are also leaders of Fleets, give them the rank of FLEET CAPTAIN, which is a rank only given to FOUNDER of a fleet. The whole "Admiral" thing is just... weird, and it diminishes what should be an awesome thing in the game. Being a full Captain of a Starfleet vessel (or Klingon Defense Force vessel, for all you Klingons). If you're really crazy about the Admiral title, give it to leaders of Fleets with more than 100 members.

Just my opinion, but I'm a Trek fan. I don't want to be an Admiral. Admirals don't get to explore the galaxy.
I was thinking Lt. Jr. Grade would have been a good call for a lower level rank as well. What about Vice Admiral, Admiral THEN Fleet Admiral? Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:

Just my opinion, but I'm a Trek fan. I don't want to be an Admiral. Admirals don't get to explore the galaxy.

Kirk was an Admiral while in command of the Enterprise during the entire first 4 movies until the end of the 4th film he was bumped down to Captain for disobeying a commanding officer’s orders. Admirals can command starships.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Yeah, that's another thing that I'm concerned about. LOL It's just one of those immersion busting things that should be taken into consideration in an MMORPG, but rarely is.

If you consider the sheer size of the Federation and Starfleet I dont think its unrealistic to have a million admirals ;-)

1000+ star systems, with what ? Probably dozens of trillions of people. A million admirals means 1 in 10 million Federation citizens is an Admiral. Do you think the US Navy possibly has 25 admirals ?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
From a quick google

U.S. Code of law explicitly limits the total number of four-star admirals that may be on active duty at any given time. The total number of active duty flag officers is capped at 216 for the Navy
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSizemore
Kirk was an Admiral while in command of the Enterprise during the entire first 4 movies until the end of the 4th film he was bumped down to Captain for disobeying a commanding officer’s orders. Admirals can command starships.
Actually, no, he wasn't. Star Trek the Motion Picture.

"Sonak explains that Captain Willard Decker (Stephen Collins), the new captain of the Enterprise, wanted him to complete his science briefing at Headquarters before they left on their mission." iMDB.com

Star Trek II

He's teaching at Starfleet Academy.
Spock is the Captain of the Enterprise, but he gives command to Admiral Kirk, because they are friends.

Should I continue to Trek nerd out on you?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
This isn't something we plan on changing folks.

For those of you who never want to be seen as an Admiral by other players, at each rank you gain a title unlock. If you never choose to use the "Admiral" title, players will not see you as an Admiral.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I guess this is the "We supply the framework. The RP immersion thing is up to you." Really we do have control over how we interact and react to the game world. If you really want immersion you will find it for yourself.

Works for me.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Actually, no, he wasn't. Star Trek the Motion Picture.

"Sonak explains that Captain Willard Decker (Stephen Collins), the new captain of the Enterprise, wanted him to complete his science briefing at Headquarters before they left on their mission." iMDB.com
Yeah in TMP Kirk essentially commandeered the Enterprise. McCoy called him on it too. In TOS The admiral/commodore/ambassador doing that to Kirk was always the bad guy. But Kirk comes in and does it to Decker who was the actual captain of the Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
what I want to know, is when they add more content / more levels, what are they gonna add as ranks?