Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskwood
what I want to know, is when they add more content / more levels, what are they gonna add as ranks?
Well if the Admiral rank in game is actually Read Admiral then there are several more ranks of Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurataigiere
Actually, no, he wasn't. Star Trek the Motion Picture.

"Sonak explains that Captain Willard Decker (Stephen Collins), the new captain of the Enterprise, wanted him to complete his science briefing at Headquarters before they left on their mission." iMDB.com
Even if I take your statement at face value, does it invalidate the point that Admirals can command starships? No.

However, I think it might have been nice to limit the amount of active Admirals. Say for example, only the 300 longest subscribing peeps have the ability to be an Admiral. They could have made it a status symbol within the game showing seniority.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSizemore
Even if I take your statement at face value, does it invalidate the point that Admirals can command starships? No.

However, I think it might have been nice to limit the amount of active Admirals. Say for example, only the 300 longest subscribing peeps have the ability to be an Admiral. They could have made it a status symbol within the game showing seniority.
They are not supposed too. The are Flag officers. Normally there would be a Flag Captain who commands the ship while the Admiral commands the Squadron or fleet.
EDIT as I said earlier. Kirk essentially stole the Enterprise from Decker.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't know why Lt. JG is not a rank since you can select that rank emblem when you are customizing your character on Starbase 1.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskwood
what I want to know, is when they add more content / more levels, what are they gonna add as ranks?
Emperor of the Known Universe! - I call Arrakis!

Honestly, I don't know. They could actually try to be innovative and go on a gear/ship based advancement, rather than purely level based advancement. But that'd require them to "boldly go where no MMORPG development team has gone before..."
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
They are not supposed too. The are Flag officers. Normally there would be a Flag Captain who commands the ship while the Admiral commands the Squadron or fleet.
EDIT as I said earlier. Kirk essentially stole the Enterprise from Decker.
Which is why I think they should have limited the ability to be an Admiral to a select few.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Which is why I think they should have limited the ability to be an Admiral to a select few.
Which is why I suggest limiting it to Fleet Commanders. Because that's what Admirals do.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:

Admirals command Fleets of Ships. That's why they aren't supposed to be out in the wilderness. If a Captain dies, the command structure of the ship adjust to fix it. If the ship is lost, the issue of command is tragically moot. If an Admiral dies, all the sudden, dozens to hundreds of ships suddenly have no operational command, and you have chaos. That's why Admirals don't get to venture out to "boldly go". It's completely antithetical to Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I think I would rather be a Commodore than the rear half of anything... :p
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
I agree.
I was just answering the posts trying to use Kirk as an example of an Admiral captaining a ship. Kirk was not supposed too. He basically stole the ship from Decker in TMP and in WOK , Spock was the commander Kirk was just along for the ride till he got the call from Carol Marcus. Them Spock handed over command. Again Kirk essentially stole the ship. Then he Literally stole it in Star Trek 3 and got demoted in 4. Kirk was also called on his unethical behavior by McCoy on multiple occasions.