Lt. Commander
# 1 Admirals... already?
02-02-2010, 08:26 AM
So we are still an hour before "launch"...

I did a search by clicking O, then SEARCH, then dropped down the RANK box for Rear Admirals. There were 8.

Really, are you telling me that this game is so easy that people can max out their rank in a weekend?

Yikes.

Sorry to sound like whining. My only complain is that there is far too much lag/rubber banding in stations. I can't run around DS9 without running into every wall. And no, I am not drunk!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftus27 View Post
So we are still an hour before "launch"...

I did a search by clicking O, then SEARCH, then dropped down the RANK box for Rear Admirals. There were 8.

Really, are you telling me that this game is so easy that people can max out their rank in a weekend?

Yikes.

Sorry to sound like whining. My only complain is that there is far too much lag/rubber banding in stations. I can't run around DS9 without running into every wall. And no, I am not drunk!
People still have the option to cancel their pre orders, so I assume these people wanted to rush to the end of the game before never getting to play it again, just so they can say they did.
Lt. Commander
# 3 ./.
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Same thing happened in beta, there will always be people that rush through the levels, don't be fooled into thinking they have experience all the content though. Probably glitched, maybe PvP'd to level, or running a fleet action again and again.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 08:31 AM
or several peep play one account.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I can't say for sure obviously, but there are bugs and inconsistencies with ranks shown in Social and Fleet windows. For a start, people seem to be marked as "Lt. Comm" from as early as Lt. Grade 7. I've confirmed this with the people in question on my list - they were showing as Lt. Comm. way before they reached that rank. In OB, the Social window showed "Level" - just the pure number that Rank/Grade is derived from. I believe that was incorrect too, but cannot remember 100%. I congratulated one of them on reaching Lt.Comm., and he wondered what I was talking about

I'm sure these people are in fact quite a way through levelling, but I doubt they are actually Admirals. I get the feeling this problem is tied in with the errors when hovering over your progress bar, which incorrectly states (or stated) the number of grades required to reach the next rank.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 08:33 AM
I understand how it can be done. But if you simply measure the hours they could have played despite all of the downtimes, they were able to effectively cap their level in just a couple of days. That is a bad sign for content as we will all become Admirals (what's next, a 2 pip admiral?).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
These could also be devs, or test characters, or even "demonstration models" (STO let's VIP's or other interested parties play around with a high level toon for PR purposes). There are a lot of innocuous explanations.

Or it could grinders (or teams of grinders) who played nonstop through the headstart. I'm still not sure, with the downtime, that it would have even be mathematically possible to legitimately grind to Rear Admiral.

Which is the last possiblity - some people found an exploit and...exlpoited it (this is actually very probable).

*shrug*
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
I understand how it can be done. But if you simply measure the hours they could have played despite all of the downtimes, they were able to effectively cap their level in just a couple of days. That is a bad sign for content as we will all become Admirals (what's next, a 2 pip admiral?).
I understand where you are coming from. I too believe we are leveling a little too quickly.
But then again, I don't care who gets to admiral before me. The end game will be there when I get to it, whenever that may be.

So I'm on the fence about the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Almost certainly they were using some sort of exploit. Even if they where able to play every single hour that the servers were up during the headstart it would be pretty much impossible unless they used an exploit. I only made it to Lt Commander late Saturday night, and then on Sunday it seemed the servers were down every time I wanted to play.

Advancement really slows down once you hit Lt Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:

Yikes.
I wouldn't say that. If they actually are that rank, odds are they've participated in some of the potential exploitable things. Won't get into that here. I played following the missions and explored around a bit, and made Lt. Commander. And that was putting in some solid play time this weekend. I'm not disappointed, as I know it will be some time before I hit that rank, and have been having a lot of fun playing so far.

Quote:
Better to tell Odo you are drunk.... otherwise they might haul you off for 'treatment'