Lt. Commander
# 1 Ferengi and Klingon unfair?
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
When I opened the C-Store today I was shocked to see that Ferengi IS available... but you have to pay for it.

To be perfectly honest, I almost kind of like having races that aren't usually associated with the Federation/Starfleet be pay-to-play. Because then we won't have a 50% population of Klingons on the fed side when we're supposed to be fighting them. That and having to pay for a Ferengi was hilarious in itself.

I haven't bought either of these, but what I'm wondering, for those that did, do they have unique skills, or abilities? What concerns me is if they have ANY extra thing other than a completely cosmetic change (basically just being a skin), then this means Cryptic will be selling beneficial (beneficial does NOT mean better than others, just something helpful at all that can only be achieved without paying, even if it's the only way to get a set of traits in one character) items in the C-Store =(

No, I'm not some teenager with no job, this game was actually quite cheap to me. But it still doesn't mean I want to play a pay-to-win game... Or where any advantage is given to those that pay extra. To be perfectly honest I don't even understand WHY we have a MT store. We pay a monthly subscription, what does that give us? Are we paying for server bandwidth (coughtheserverhasbeensuckingcough)?

The way I saw it was we pay $50 to be able to play this game for a month, and then to continue to play it is $15 a month. So this means any extra thing created _after_ the game was released will be in the store? (at least the cool items?)

Any way, I digress. I think either way we are screwed, Klingons and Ferengi SHOULD have extra abilities or skills (maybe ferengi have a trait that let's them sell items for more? ) but if they do then this is a bad omen for the future of the C-Store... And if they don't, we'll have what I consider to be an awesome race to play be really bland =(

What do you all think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 02:52 PM
it doesnt display the racial benefit on the store page? lame...
Ill buy ferengi when i get home in a few hours...im dying to know what there racial bonus is..
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll be more than happy to pay my 500 C-Sore creds to get ppl to stop making stupid complaints
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Its easy to buy both with the free points most people got with their pre-order. But you also have the luxury of saving those points for something else if you don't care about either race.

Having to 'pay' to play Ferengi is brilliant anyways, and the price is pretty cheap. Fed-Klingons cost more but of course it makes sense that they should be rare.

So no, it doesn't bother me. They gave a larger number of included races than I ever expected they would.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
You can make a Fed Klingon with the "Alien" options. All you get are two racials, no better or worse than some the "Alien" options and the word "Klingon" when some people inspect you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
cryptic's policy on the MT store has ALWAYS been that anything that is game altering or gives a benefit in-game will be available via in-game means as well.

i suspect the two races will have one or two of the traits that are in the pool, and have a total of 4 traits overall, same as the others.

its also worth noting that the costs in "real money" are really low, i think someone worked out earlier that the ferengi cost like $1, so the klingons would be about $1.20 or so. and it'd be a unlock fee, not a "pay each time you make one".

i dont see cryptic going down the route of making the best items/ships/races available only in the store, most of whats on the champions store is "cosmetic" in so much as its just additional costume parts, and database changes like renames (which we wont have in STO i think, as you can rename your character for starfleet merits if i recal correctly) or more slots etc.

so i wouldnt worry about the good gear being pay-to-win
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, go find a thread other than this one then. I think the OP is rather sensible; No caps, no swearing, no pretending they know better.. quite refreshing.

I too wish to know the racials

*edit* @whoppin
Lt. Commander
# 8
I agree

I totally understand a charge to have non fed races as playable races ... especially since they have thier own racial traits. Looking forward to Caridassians and other races.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Its easy to buy both with the free points most people got with their pre-order. But you also have the luxury of saving those points for something else if you don't care about either race.

Having to 'pay' to play Ferengi is brilliant anyways, and the price is pretty cheap. Fed-Klingons cost more but of course it makes sense that they should be rare.

So no, it doesn't bother me. They gave a larger number of included races than I ever expected they would.
Like I said, having Ferengi be paid for is hilarious xD

I don't really mind the price either, but it's the principle of the thing. I know this is a slippery slope fallacy but I'll still have to say it. If we just let this slide by, what are we going to say when they release a "Super Chrono Armor" that makes a ship be able to increase damage by 3%? or something like that? It's just a few grades higher of the same issue we're facing here.

And sure, a lot of people got free 500 points... so? What does this mean? That's like saying it's okay that Mcdonald's charges us $20 for the straws and ketchup packets because they gave us $50 the other day... As soon as that money runs out and other beneficial thing is released... you're screwed...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
cryptic's policy on the MT store has ALWAYS been that anything that is game altering or gives a benefit in-game will be available via in-game means as well.

i suspect the two races will have one or two of the traits that are in the pool, and have a total of 4 traits overall, same as the others.

its also worth noting that the costs in "real money" are really low, i think someone worked out earlier that the ferengi cost like $1, so the klingons would be about $1.20 or so. and it'd be a unlock fee, not a "pay each time you make one".

i dont see cryptic going down the route of making the best items/ships/races available only in the store, most of whats on the champions store is "cosmetic" in so much as its just additional costume parts, and database changes like renames (which we wont have in STO i think, as you can rename your character for starfleet merits if i recal correctly) or more slots etc.

so i wouldnt worry about the good gear being pay-to-win
Sounds pretty good. Yes, I just hope it doesn't go down that road. There IS some benefit here, but it's so small that even I'm willing to let it pass. We just have to take it with a grain of salt though, because we can't be 100% okay with it and let them think that if in 1 year they want to release a ship with some special traits it's okay.

On the positive side, this means that one day we'll be able to get joined trill/borg/other races then. Well positive for those that chose other things.