Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 151
02-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norikor View Post
Well, I'm sorry if you don't like the role they were designed for but that is what they are. The primary role of a Cruiser in Star Trek is not combat.
Then why on earth are the Constitution classes, the Excelsior, the Ambassador, the Akira(which is a cruiser by the way), the Steamrunner, the Cheyenne, the Miranda, the Intrepid, the Galaxy and the Sovereign doing in combat at all?

Your argument holds zero water when you consider that every single ship in Star Trek with the exception of the Saber, Nova, Oberth, Defiant and possibly the Norway classes are all Cruisers.

That nearly 90% of Starfleet is made up of Cruisers.
That 95+% of all activities executed under orders from Starfleet are carried out by Cruisers.
And that Cruisers are the only ships capable of doing ANYTHING asked of them. Be it combat, delivery, diplomacy, escort duty, exploration, first contact, system defense, planetary assault, infiltration, insertion, snag and grab, hit n run, you name it they can do it. And they do it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norikor
My question to you would be... why on earth are you worrying about looting while there are still enemy ships to kill?
Perhaps it may or may not have something to do with that next group of enemy ships being 32+ km away, and that by the time you killed them you would be in range of the next group and then by the time you kill that group you would be in range of the next group and that by the time you killed that group the only loot left for you to loot would be from that final group... assuming that you actually get anything at all while grouped with an escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 152
02-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallen View Post
Balance is the reason. It is simply not allowed in any way, shape, form, or fashion to give anything to any ship type but escorts. If you give cruisers something, you must give escorts 10x of that something. Anything that threatens the supremacy of the escort's domination of all content in the game is to be shunned.

The game's not Cruisers Online, you know. What were you thinking in even suggesting it?
/facepalm

Of course... I concede to your superior intellect and insight into this design choice.
I am deeply ashamed for having said something so, so... right.
My most humble apologies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 153
02-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verkruk View Post
Then why on earth are the Constitution classes, the Excelsior, the Ambassador, the Akira(which is a cruiser by the way), the Steamrunner, the Cheyenne, the Miranda, the Intrepid, the Galaxy and the Sovereign doing in combat at all?
Like all Navel vessels they have to be prepared for anything. The Primary role of the Cruiser is Exploration, not combat. You want to turn on a dime, then don't fly a cruiser.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 154
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norikor View Post
Like all Navel vessels they have to be prepared for anything. The Primary role of the Cruiser is Exploration, not combat. You want to turn on a dime, then don't fly a cruiser.
So she is a Cruiser and as a result should be prepared for anything yet you continue to liken the Cruisers in this game to a cargo plane that cannot do anything other than carry cargo from place to place... hmm?

Do me a favor.
Go back through this thread and find me a specific quote where we have asked to be able to turn on a dime while playing STO. Not what we have said she should be able to do based on the episodes and movies, but specifically about her turning on a dime while playing STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 155
02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Reversing seems to double my turn rate, anyone els notice a differences?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 156
02-04-2010, 09:56 PM
OK, I'm sorry, but unless your a Klink, why on earth would you be against a tiny increase in the turn rate of an ally?

*boggle*

I really don't get it. No one (reasonable) is asking for Cryptic to break the role of the cruiser. No one (reasonable) is asking for a turn rate of 15. Or 12. Or 10. Why is this a threatening suggestion? Do people really think a turn rate of 7 or 8 is going to destroy class balance? Because it's not, I promise ^^.

-HD
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 157
02-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Xomic View Post
real galaxies turn quicker
Real galaxies ?

FYI cruiser pilots... sto combat has been scaled down.. while canon is that ships can fight at about 100 000km we are limited to 10k, as such you should consider your turnrate 1/10 of that you saw in the series....

Also there are a multitude of ways to increase turnrate... f.eks at admiral can have consoles for 120% extra turnrate... also Aux power helps... and using the right engines...

The cruiser was never ment to be a dual beam boat.. I know damn well that the reason you cruiser pilots complain Is that you can use dual beams efficiently... and guees that... thats kind of the point.. If you could use dual beams as efficiently as a escort... there simply wouldnt be a need for them...

I suggest you try a defense setup instead of attack setup for cruisers... or change ship class...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 158
02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munx View Post
Real galaxies ?

FYI cruiser pilots... sto combat has been scaled down.. while canon is that ships can fight at about 100 000km we are limited to 10k, as such you should consider your turnrate 1/10 of that you saw in the series....

Also there are a multitude of ways to increase turnrate... f.eks at admiral can have consoles for 120% extra turnrate... also Aux power helps... and using the right engines...

The cruiser was never ment to be a dual beam boat.. I know damn well that the reason you cruiser pilots complain Is that you can use dual beams efficiently... and guees that... thats kind of the point.. If you could use dual beams as efficiently as a escort... there simply wouldnt be a need for them...

I suggest you try a defense setup instead of attack setup for cruisers... or change ship class...
Assume much?
Oh and, you need more periods in there... ... .... ... .. .. .. ... .. ....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 159
02-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munx View Post
Real galaxies ?

FYI cruiser pilots... sto combat has been scaled down.. while canon is that ships can fight at about 100 000km we are limited to 10k, as such you should consider your turnrate 1/10 of that you saw in the series....

Also there are a multitude of ways to increase turnrate... f.eks at admiral can have consoles for 120% extra turnrate... also Aux power helps... and using the right engines...

The cruiser was never ment to be a dual beam boat.. I know damn well that the reason you cruiser pilots complain Is that you can use dual beams efficiently... and guees that... thats kind of the point.. If you could use dual beams as efficiently as a escort... there simply wouldnt be a need for them...

I suggest you try a defense setup instead of attack setup for cruisers... or change ship class...
entirely right - right now the only thing we can do is just not use the Galaxy - it is actually quicker to just keep using the tier 3 cruiser - sure the tier 4 kills quicker but the tier 3 will be able to keep up with the group, loot and do just about anything else far quicker

something is clearly wrong when you have to SKIP a ship "upgrade" because its not any better than your current ship
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 160
02-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norikor View Post
Like all Navel vessels they have to be prepared for anything. The Primary role of the Cruiser is Exploration, not combat. You want to turn on a dime, then don't fly a cruiser.
"Exploration" depends how you see it. I could explore earth in a small boat or take a battlecruiser. A cruiser isn't primary an "explorer" but has the best odds of survival on it's own. So it's primary purpose is to be able to survive everywhere...in peace times as in war times. In peace times they are used for far away exploration missions and in war times they are the battleships of the front line. As the time changed from TOS to TNG till Nemesis the crusisers had focused even more on combat. The cruiser is the one class that you can't push in one direction because is fit for everything...The time determins what it should primarily do.

Escorts however have primarily the combat as focus...either defense or assault.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 AM.