Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 71
02-03-2010, 07:43 AM
They are suppose to if you don't use your skills to increase it or items. Your own fault.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 72
02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbrand View Post
They are suppose to if you don't use your skills to increase it or items. Your own fault.
Items work on %, % of nothing is still nothing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 73
02-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
This is incorrect - auxiliary power level does affect turn rate (see Ship Power Levels link in my sig for details).
Nice write-up on the power levels, BTW. Thanks for that. I've added a link to it in my beginner's guide page.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 74
02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Interesting thoughts on all sides, but my opinion (as a long time trekkie is this)

Cruiser are slow and cumbersome, and the turn rates should not be increased. The ship is loaded to the hilt with weaponry, talented officers, and consoles.

HOWEVER, I can understand how it would be bloody annoying having to wait 2 mins to turn towards some loot / similar objects. Hence why I think cruisers should have

1) Long range scanners so they dont have to get within 5km of objects to scan them
2) Tractor beams that can PULL OBJECTS AND LOOT that are reasonalbly close by
3) A controllable nippy runabout (like a pet) than can be quickly launched to getther up loot OR
4) A long range cargo teleporter for gathering of loot / collectibles
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 75
02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
all well and good morgan but we still need to turn to keep up with groups - as is most the time when i was in my galaxy in open beta by the time i had caught up the escorts had butchered nearly everything

turning is a required feature of combat and non-combat flying and making it torture for no reason is not good game play.

and increase of 2 Turning will still have the cruiser the slowest turner without torturing the people who fly them
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 76
02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganUK View Post
Interesting thoughts on all sides, but my opinion (as a long time trekkie is this)

Cruiser are slow and cumbersome, and the turn rates should not be increased. The ship is loaded to the hilt with weaponry, talented officers, and consoles.

HOWEVER, I can understand how it would be bloody annoying having to wait 2 mins to turn towards some loot / similar objects. Hence why I think cruisers should have

1) Long range scanners so they dont have to get within 5km of objects to scan them
2) Tractor beams that can PULL OBJECTS AND LOOT that are reasonalbly close by
3) A controllable nippy runabout (like a pet) than can be quickly launched to getther up loot OR
4) A long range cargo teleporter for gathering of loot / collectibles
Or, instead of all that extra coding for useless rubbish, they could, for example, up the turn rate by a couple of points.

And once again for those who dont like reading: A % increase of stupidly low number still gives a stupidly low number.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 77
02-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganUK View Post
Interesting thoughts on all sides, but my opinion (as a long time trekkie is this)

Cruiser are slow and cumbersome, and the turn rates should not be increased. The ship is loaded to the hilt with weaponry, talented officers, and consoles.
Every other ship type is loaded with weaponry, talented officers, and consoles as well. And the extra weapon slots do not make up for something like a turn rate of 5 or 6. You are far better off with 6 and the ability to apply them. In a tier 3 cruiser, for example, you'll have enemies outside of your forward weapons arc (the 250 degrees of single beam arrays) often enough. In the even worse turning ones, this is even more common.

Quote:
HOWEVER, I can understand how it would be bloody annoying having to wait 2 mins to turn towards some loot / similar objects. Hence why I think cruisers should have

1) Long range scanners so they dont have to get within 5km of objects to scan them
2) Tractor beams that can PULL OBJECTS AND LOOT that are reasonalbly close by
3) A controllable nippy runabout (like a pet) than can be quickly launched to getther up loot OR
4) A long range cargo teleporter for gathering of loot / collectibles
Which doesn't help in several areas.

1. It doesn't help you to turn towards your next destination, thereby severely hindering you in fleet actions (once we get higher level ones) and grouping.
2. It doesn't help you with weapons that have limited firing arcs. Mainly, torps, an iconic cruiser weapon.
3. It doesn't help you use different shield facings.

The reality is, as of right now, you are better off with a science vessel. Your raw fire power will pretty much be the same, thanks to energy loss issues and the turn rate. You don't hold your group back as much. You can use different shield facings. And you can tank fine, just using shield related science skills more as opposed to a cruiser, who'd be more inclined to use hull related skills.

The tier 2 Cruiser gets the appropriate feel across. It is slow and lumbering. Other ship types can zip around it. There is no need to go slower than that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 78
02-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
A turn rate of 7 or 8 is not "agile" for top tier cruiser. Saying "go pick science vessel" is tantamount to admitting that cruisers are broken and should not be equal to other classes.

Here's a great comparison: The Negh'Var has a turn rate of 9 and 2500 crew so it is practically the most durable cruiser in the game. It's also a tier higher than the Galaxy class. If you boosted the Galaxy's turning rate to 7, it would still be out-turned by every Klingon ship in the game. This would not be overpowered.
Looking at the Starship charts and turn radius.... I wanted to be a Tank of a Cruiser, but the turn rates made me decide that after my Tier 3 ship Im going to Science vessels (and allocating my skill points accordingly).

They really need need to do something with the Cruiser turn rates it seems.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 79
02-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
all well and good morgan but we still need to turn to keep up with groups - as is most the time when i was in my galaxy in open beta by the time i had caught up the escorts had butchered nearly everything

turning is a required feature of combat and non-combat flying and making it torture for no reason is not good game play.

and increase of 2 Turning will still have the cruiser the slowest turner without torturing the people who fly them
Eh, I don't know... even the tier 2 cruiser turns rather slow, slow enough for me to have trouble firing off a torpedo at the right moment. I just got it so I'm probably just not use to the huge difference between it and the light cruiser... but it doesn't really feel right.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 80
02-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Maybe if we make enough huge posts like this they will take the hint eventually. If they don't get it fixed I will probably just roll an tac/escort since they seem to want everyone to go dps to get loot anyway.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:45 AM.