Lt. Commander
# 41
02-03-2010, 01:22 AM
09:18 GMT and Im getting the message "You are not permitted to log in to this server at this time". No explanation or anything.

They say they will have more capacity up by the weekend, as someone who has been looking forward to this for almost a year I am gutted. Its like being told Santa was too busy on xmas day but hell be back next week.

Get a grip Cryptic, and please fix it properly we dont want another early Ironforge.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAG!
Lt. Commander
# 42 Wtf..........
02-03-2010, 01:23 AM
when you pay nearly a 100.00 bucks for a game....you do'nt want to see a message that it's not your time to log in.shame on you folks....
Lt. Commander
# 43 yeah..
02-03-2010, 01:27 AM
So i go buy this game... and cant play it as im apparently not allowed to log in. Wow, next time dont even make a game and ill just mail you the 59.99. Wouldn't be any different than what im experiencing now
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Excellent news

For all the people that have said should of got more servers in the first place, Yep you where right but Cryptic would of looked to see what there existing servers could do before getting even more why you say?

The answer is simple Cryptic / Atari are a business if they would of got too many servers to start with that where not needed and it would take even longer to see a profit from subscriptions after development cost , advertising ETC ETC

But since the recent patches I have seen a vast improvement from open beta to head start to launch

On launch day I was really expecting it all to happen again but to my surprise it was great , I had a few lag issues but that turned out to be my crappy ISP again

Well done cryptic so far I am more then sure you will get most of the issues sorted
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Nice to hear, I played all day 2/2 at prime time a little rubberbanding, but much better than it was over the headstart weekend...at least for me..
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-03-2010, 01:46 AM
While they wait for the increased capacity to arrive at the weekend they've found a work around to improve the load on the server. They've simply stopped some of those without their retail keys from logging in at all!

It is good news about the increased capacity though - if only they'd listened to us sooner.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Working in IT and having an understanding how the infrastructure works it makes me laugh when people go 'You should ahve done this last week!!'

yeah, thats right, I can go into Radio Shack and buy Servers off the shelf that work, and then I have lots of spare Fibre optic connections into my building *Just* Waiting to be turned on

/facepalm
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badem View Post
Working in IT and having an understanding how the infrastructure works it makes me laugh when people go 'You should ahve done this last week!!'

yeah, thats right, I can go into Radio Shack and buy Servers off the shelf that work, and then I have lots of spare Fibre optic connections into my building *Just* Waiting to be turned on

/facepalm
Having a PC on your desk does not constitute as working in IT. If I would ever, ever, go to a customer and say "Well, I'm surprised at how much you want to do with your system, so I'm sorry not all of your employees can work. But we ordered some stuff and you should be good to work in a few days..." well, my company would be out of business soon. My customer expects from me to plan accordingly. And, if needed, be on the safe side. There are a lot of possibilities to achieve that, e.g. cloud computing.

They had all the data to know there will be problems. They knew how many keys they sold (and you can expect that a paying customer WILL log in, and can't compare it with free beta keys). And they knew from CB and OB that their servers would not be enough. They even posted about that on January the 18th. And even if they couldn't rush the orders or setup, they could have informed the customers. It is a huge difference to say "You will be able to play in a headstart 4 days earlier than the rest" to "You will be able to log into the game 4 days earlier, but due to last minute patches and setups for the release, please expect downtimes and/or other difficulties".

I don't blame Cryptic for the server issue. But their communication is a slap in the face of the customers. Call a beta weekend a beta weekend and everybody is happy. But call it a headstart, and you have a guaranteed fail.

I still think the game will be great and even though I hoped that these days the developers of a MMO doesn't make the same mistakes others did before (start to LEARN folks), I didn't expect it. Over the headstart I was able to play about 1 hour (out of possible 10 or so, due to my schedule), which is not enough for what they made people belive. But since I have a lifetime, I'm in no rush, so I used the time for other activities. But still, it amazes me how an experienced company like cryptic can fail in communication so hard.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Well this should put everyone at peace it seems. At least it will prove that they have been working to address it, putting all the whining to bed at last.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Nice.

Now if you could fix the forums to show threads like before instead of the way it is now that would be nice too. Why the change and no reason given? Or if one was given I missed it because of the borked view it now has.