Lt. Commander
Quote:
The first update is going to have more PvP, Klingon exploration content, more ground fleet actions, more ship costume pieces, more playable species, and then some.
Craig -

I have been very supportive of the team and am excited to continue my journey with STO. I do have one BIG question that I would like clarification on and some points to make.

Could you define "fleet actions"?

Here is my concern, You guys scaled back the deep space encounter to 5 people max. During closed beta my fleet would get together and play those to coordinate tactics and just have a good time.

There seems to be so much restriction now to 5 this and 5 that for EVERYTHING except Starbase 24 type missions. You even speak about higher level content that has a max of 5 people.

My grip...

Why the heck do we even have fleet that can max to 200 if we can organize a fleet event and all get on and play?

I feel the 5 man teaming works for many missions throughout the game, but there doesn't seem to be any fleet content for fleets to actually get together in mass.

To conclude...

I ask that you and the team take a look at this for both space and ground combat in regards to true fleet actions. Fleets/Clans/Guilds are huge points in MMO's and I just feel that the fleet system has been pushed to the side a bit.

Thank you guys for an excellent game and your constant open communication to the community!

Doc
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
I would like to see a Dev response to this as well!
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Fleet Actions are like the Starbase 24, there are a LOT more than just the Starbase 24. Those that top the "damage dealt" list will get rarer items upon completion of the fleet action.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, Gade. Now that Deep Space Encounters are restricted to five, you're lucky if you can even get your team into the same instance. Fleet Actions are probably private mission-based instances, rather than open maps, and therefore getting your team of five onto the map shouldn't be an issue. But absolutely, we need to see more about what kind of activities will be made available for large fleets, and how they plan to do that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Swift
Fleet Actions are probably private mission-based instances, rather than open maps, and therefore getting your team of five onto the map shouldn't be an issue.
Fleet Actions are NOT private mission-based instances. Starbase 24 is just one of many Fleet Actions. At the moment, I am forgetting the other two that are available in the Pi Canis Sector Block, however all of the "Fleet Actions" allows for up to 20 people or so, not sure exactly how many, to participate in a mass 'raid' that has objectives. Upon completing the Fleet Action, everyone earns a random item. Those that top the damage dealt chart get rarer equipment than those at the bottom.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
It really seems like you guys at Cryptic are forgetting the "Massively" M in MMORPG. If your instancing technology only allows for instances of five, that's not a great incentive to play in fleets or to form persistent social connections in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
It really seems like you guys at Cryptic are forgetting the "Massively" M in MMORPG. If your instancing technology only allows for instances of five, that's not a great incentive to play in fleets or to form persistent social connections in STO.
It clearly allows more than 5, example : Starbase 24.
I just hope they implement something with a little more ... umph to it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Off the top of my head, I can remember the following Fleet Actions:
Starbase 24 (Starbase 24, Sirius block, space)
Halting the Gorn Advance (Tostig system, Regulus block, space)
Klingon Expeditionary Force (?? system, Pi Canis block, space)
Breaking the Ice (?? system, Pi Canis block, ground)
The Crystalline Entity (no system, Alpha Centauri block, space)

The Klingong Expeditionary Force and Breaking the Ice are both in the same system, but I can't remember its name.

A "fleet action" is an open mission with a series of objectives that must be completed in order. It's open to a very large number of players that's definitely greater than 10, maybe up around 25 or so.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
The majority of the content is balanced with up to 5 people, hence the cap. Fleet Actions are NOT part of that, and are balanced around having multiple teams of five, I don't know the exact cap but I have seen at least 20 people in a Fleet Action.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki
The majority of the content is balanced with up to 5 people, hence the cap. Fleet Actions are NOT part of that, and are balanced around having multiple teams of five, I don't know the exact cap but I have seen at least 20 people in a Fleet Action.
20 is not a massive amount of people by any stretch of the imagination. Its sort of along the lines of stargate resistance having that restriction.

Fleet actions should be playable by fleets, random deep space encounters should also be massive fights at least 50 peoples. With ability to create private instances for practice with your own fleet would be awesome