Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
02-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valdan
You say this is a brand new system that was only 4 hours old?

What are its specs and version of windows are you running. New computer doesn't mean new drivers and you may need to upgrade a video driver etc.....
yep.

its windosw 7 pro.

ATI HD 4890 drivers are upto date. with the latest catalyst too.

it hasnt happend today, and im hoping with the patch there currently putting up it may help it as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
02-04-2010, 10:20 AM
ok its still happening, but now theres another problem.

my PC turns off and on again. unsafely....

damnit lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
well today.

1 reboot

2 crashes

3 hours gameplay

will look back tommoro AGAIN...you would of though with so many views/posts to this topic a dev would of looked by now?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Did you try running another more intense game to check if the problem is strictly with this game? Cause I know it is for me. I'm having the same damn problems and I run the exact Video card, except I run two 4890's in Crossfire.

I only crash in ground combat, usually like 8-10x per mission. I've tried turning off smooth smoke, post-processing, high-detailed objects, turned Aniso down to 8x instead of 16, pretty much everything. I even reverted my 10.1 catalysts to 9.12 Hotfixed ones, and though the crashes are less now, it went from like 10 a mission to about 6. Still not pro. In CB and OB I'd crash like once every 4 hours if that.

I noticed one time, it even crashed my Video drivers saying they're no longer responding.

I'm gonna try yet another driver sweep and revert back the catalyst 9.11s I used in CB. I'll see if that helps but I'm more than certain it won't, since a lot of people are praising 10.1 catalysts as awesome drivers for all ATI users all around.


[UPDATE] Okay, so I think I fixed it. I did a little research after I made my initial post above, and went to the ATI forums to see what they say about Catalysts 10.1. To my surprise (Being I usually only read about drivers on Guru3d) I find out for the first time that a lot of people are having their Operating Systems corrupted by these drivers, and it lasts even through a rollback to 9.12's and such. Which is exactly what I did, and still had the same problem above.

So, remembering some stuff I read in the ATI driver section of Guru3d forums, I decided to look into Cat 9.8's. These appear to be the last 4xxx Series optimized drivers to ever be released by ATI. After that, it's all a bunch of nonsense updates for random apps that I don't use, or them trying to get their 5xxx series working up to par.

I uninstalled everything to do with ATI through Windows first.

Turned off my modem (To make sure they don't automatically install generic windows drivers when I restart. Old habit from using my Nvidias,)

Restarted my PC.

Ran Driver Sweeper, cleaned out everything pertaining to ATI.

Restarted again.

Ran a Registry Cleaner program to pinpoint every single registry entry pertaining to ATI and removed them, (Along with some for old programs I uninstalled a few weeks ago.)

Restarted my PC again.

Installed Catalyst 9.8 Drivers for Win 7 64-bit.

Restarted again.

Checked my settings to make sure everything's the way I like it. (Left the FSAA and AF up to the game.)

Logged in, continued my ground mission to save Murta and the other *****.

It bugged out forcing me to do it yet a SECOND time from scratch. However, I considered this a benchmark to see if my drivers were finally up to par. They were.

Not a single crash through the duration of both ground missions. All settings on max, including 8x FSAA, Post-processing, high detailed objects, occlusions, and all that jazz.

Problem solved. I advise everyone to stay away from the Catalyst 10+ series of drivers, unless you absolutely need them to get your 5xxx series card working. Otherwise, stick with your best tried, and tested version of Cat 9's.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonelbe
Did you try running another more intense game to check if the problem is strictly with this game? Cause I know it is for me. I'm having the same damn problems and I run the exact Video card, except I run two 4890's in Crossfire.

I only crash in ground combat, usually like 8-10x per mission. I've tried turning off smooth smoke, post-processing, high-detailed objects, turned Aniso down to 8x instead of 16, pretty much everything. I even reverted my 10.1 catalysts to 9.12 Hotfixed ones, and though the crashes are less now, it went from like 10 a mission to about 6. Still not pro. In CB and OB I'd crash like once every 4 hours if that.

I noticed one time, it even crashed my Video drivers saying they're no longer responding. Whatever you did to the game between OB and now totally ****ed everything for a lot of people.

I'm gonna try yet another driver sweep and revert back the catalyst 9.11s I used in CB. I'll see if that helps but I'm more than certain it won't, since a lot of people are praising 10.1 catalysts as awesome drivers for all ATI users all around.


P.S. Someone's getting hunted down and tortured if this game causes any serious damage to my hardware.
if anything happens to my machine ill be joining you on the hunt lol, luckily its only a few days old and still has warranty. but thats not the point.

i crash in ground + space. and its not allways in combat, i crashed and had BSOD's from doing nothing other than moving in sector space. its ridiculous. i know 100% its STO that is causing problems. cos i have no other problems with my other games.

i just want to enjoy the game. PLEASE cryptic at least tell us your on the case with your broken(yet satisfying) game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Granted the game doesn't run as smoothly as it ran at the very end of Open Beta when they allowed Antialiasing finally...this time around it's not Cryptic's fault. I blame ATI for trying to hit me with the Viral Matrix called Cat 10.1's. Seriously never buying another ATI/AMD product ever again. And as soon as I can afford it I'm upgrading to that new core GPU Nvidia's putting out, since it'll not only run more efficiently, but it has enough power to blow away both my 4890s combined by itself.

Look at my last post to see how I fixed the problem btw.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonelbe
Did you try running another more intense game to check if the problem is strictly with this game? Cause I know it is for me. I'm having the same damn problems and I run the exact Video card, except I run two 4890's in Crossfire.

I only crash in ground combat, usually like 8-10x per mission. I've tried turning off smooth smoke, post-processing, high-detailed objects, turned Aniso down to 8x instead of 16, pretty much everything. I even reverted my 10.1 catalysts to 9.12 Hotfixed ones, and though the crashes are less now, it went from like 10 a mission to about 6. Still not pro. In CB and OB I'd crash like once every 4 hours if that.

I noticed one time, it even crashed my Video drivers saying they're no longer responding.

I'm gonna try yet another driver sweep and revert back the catalyst 9.11s I used in CB. I'll see if that helps but I'm more than certain it won't, since a lot of people are praising 10.1 catalysts as awesome drivers for all ATI users all around.


[UPDATE] Okay, so I think I fixed it. I did a little research after I made my initial post above, and went to the ATI forums to see what they say about Catalysts 10.1. To my surprise (Being I usually only read about drivers on Guru3d) I find out for the first time that a lot of people are having their Operating Systems corrupted by these drivers, and it lasts even through a rollback to 9.12's and such. Which is exactly what I did, and still had the same problem above.

So, remembering some stuff I read in the ATI driver section of Guru3d forums, I decided to look into Cat 9.8's. These appear to be the last 4xxx Series optimized drivers to ever be released by ATI. After that, it's all a bunch of nonsense updates for random apps that I don't use, or them trying to get their 5xxx series working up to par.

I uninstalled everything to do with ATI through Windows first.

Turned off my modem (To make sure they don't automatically install generic windows drivers when I restart. Old habit from using my Nvidias,)

Restarted my PC.

Ran Driver Sweeper, cleaned out everything pertaining to ATI.

Restarted again.

Ran a Registry Cleaner program to pinpoint every single registry entry pertaining to ATI and removed them, (Along with some for old programs I uninstalled a few weeks ago.)

Restarted my PC again.

Installed Catalyst 9.8 Drivers for Win 7 64-bit.

Restarted again.

Checked my settings to make sure everything's the way I like it. (Left the FSAA and AF up to the game.)

Logged in, continued my ground mission to save Murta and the other *****.

It bugged out forcing me to do it yet a SECOND time from scratch. However, I considered this a benchmark to see if my drivers were finally up to par. They were.

Not a single crash through the duration of both ground missions. All settings on max, including 8x FSAA, Post-processing, high detailed objects, occlusions, and all that jazz.

Problem solved. I advise everyone to stay away from the Catalyst 10+ series of drivers, unless you absolutely need them to get your 5xxx series card working. Otherwise, stick with your best tried, and tested version of Cat 9's.
thats ALOT of work, for somthing that should of been sorted by cryptic.

keep me posted on how well it works, i managed to get STO to work for 3-4 hours straight and then earlier another CTD.

if a dev/cryptic member EVER looks at this post, im sure your results might have somthing in it they may of overlooked.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonelbe
Granted the game doesn't run as smoothly as it ran at the very end of Open Beta when they allowed Antialiasing finally...this time around it's not Cryptic's fault. I blame ATI for trying to hit me with the Viral Matrix called Cat 10.1's. Seriously never buying another ATI/AMD product ever again. And as soon as I can afford it I'm upgrading to that new core GPU Nvidia's putting out, since it'll not only run more efficiently, but it has enough power to blow away both my 4890s combined by itself.

Look at my last post to see how I fixed the problem btw.
this is almost a pure ATI/AMD machine,and my first time using them.. and i dont thinks its there fault, at least not as much as cryptics. as none of my other games have this issue.

*pulls hair out* this is just frustrating lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
this is almost a pure ATI/AMD machine,and my first time using them.. and i dont thinks its there fault, at least not as much as cryptics. as none of my other games have this issue.

*pulls hair out* this is just frustrating lol

You could -probably- skip the Registry cleanup part, but when I read "10.1's corrupting OS" I was like one of the soldiers straight out of Metal Gear Solid. Big ass " ! " popped up over my head, and I decided it was warranted, just to make sure I don't waste my time doing a mere Driver cleanup with Driver Sweeper.

It's also a must from what I hear with ATI drivers, that you use a program like Driver Sweeper eeeevery time you change the drivers. This isn't as big a problem with Nvidias, but being AMD is a second-rate piece of **** company, it must be done.

I'ma get back to running some of these episodes, so I can finally hit T2 without anymore crashing...hopefully. I don't think I will get anymore problems though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonelbe
You could -probably- skip the Registry cleanup part, but when I read "10.1's corrupting OS" I was like one of the soldiers straight out of Metal Gear Solid. Big ass " ! " popped up over my head, and I decided it was warranted, just to make sure I don't waste my time doing a mere Driver cleanup with Driver Sweeper.

It's also a must from what I hear with ATI drivers, that you use a program like Driver Sweeper eeeevery time you change the drivers. This isn't as big a problem with Nvidias, but being AMD is a second-rate piece of **** company, it must be done.

I'ma get back to running some of these episodes, so I can finally hit T2 without anymore crashing...hopefully. I don't think I will get anymore problems though.
if you get time, and test it out a bit more tommoro let me know if the revert to 9.8 is worth it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 PM.