Career Officer
# 1 Has the penny finally dropped?
01-24-2014, 03:33 AM
From D'Angelo's interview with massively.
Quote:
Q:For the first time in years, PvP players got a new arena where they can beat each other senseless in shuttles and other small craft. What plans are there for the future of PvP beyond that arena?

A: Just this week, I had some data analysis done on PvP game play. I'm not ready to make promises about PvP investment at this time, but it is something the STO team definitely will be paying attention to.

I'm not sure which is more cruel, the acknowledgement of complete abandonment, or the faintest glimmer of hope. Either way, it looks like :metrics: are finally proving what we've all been saying for a long time... PvP'ers are the whales.
12th Fleet Are recruiting Active PvP'ers.
We have Full T5 starbase, Teamspeak and over 200 active members.

Go to Recruitment room and beam up! You'll be glad you did.
Lieutenant
# 2
01-24-2014, 03:59 AM
Analysis complete: PvE is a joke.

Why is there this disparity between PvE and PvP? PvE can be done with a T1 Miranda. PvP is like, the actual game.

Why can they create Bajor, New Romulus, All the Romulan missions, The Dyson Sphere, but can't add a single new PvP Arena or CapNHold Map in years?

When I log in I'm in Ker'rat or Arena matches. Who are these people doing the same 6 STF missions over and over? (I say 6 because the PvE population is scared of Hive)

Last edited by ethercircuit; 01-24-2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Captain
# 3
01-24-2014, 03:59 AM
Actually the Penny did drop, and then someone picked it up and put it back in their pocket hidden from sight again....
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Captain
# 4
01-24-2014, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethercircuit View Post

Why is there this disparity between PvE and PvP? PvE can be done with a T1 Miranda. PvP is like, the actual game.

Why can they create Bajor, New Romulus, All the Romulan missions, The Dyson Sphere, but can't add a single new PvP Arena or CapNHold Map in years?

When I log in I'm in Ker'rat or Arena matches. Who are these people doing the same 6 STF missions over and over? (I say 6 because the PvE population is scared of Hive)
I think it goes like this...

"Hey look, people are playing these dyson PvE missions a lot!"

"That's because they're the only ones to play, and thanks to rep..."

"Players must be enjoying them!"

"..."
Captain
# 5
01-24-2014, 05:40 AM
What I take from this?

Come out and support the STO Frontlines Tournaments whether you win or loose.

Its about the numbers that participate.

You want the devs to invest in PvP development, then participate in PvP.

Participate in OPvP. Participate in TD, Participate in STO Frontlines.

If you loose? So what? Honestly, so what?
Captain
# 6
01-24-2014, 05:40 AM
I wonder ... were they planning on comparing numbers before the release of the PVP shuttle map and after , or did they just feel like wasting someone's time ?
"We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product ."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden -- your guide to F2P ...
Captain
# 7
01-24-2014, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethercircuit View Post

Who are these people scared of HSE? It's not a tour without it and when it only takes an extra minute why not do it?

People do PvE because they get rewards, they get the dilithium/marks needed to progress and have what little fun there is left in this game.

Also why do you need new maps for arena when you're all flapping around at the top of the map not utilising the environment? Cap'n'splode as people call it at least encourages people to stay near the objects a dev has put time and effort into making.

What PvP needs is rewards for taking part, different game modes AND dynamic maps where you have less open space to be flying around. Where your environment and surroundings are a factor in whether you live or die.
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.
Lieutenant
# 8
01-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
What PvP needs is rewards for taking part, different game modes AND dynamic maps where you have less open space to be flying around. Where your environment and surroundings are a factor in whether you live or die.
+1 .. /10char
Career Officer
# 9
01-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
+2

I'd add match making system, pvp reputation that provides pvp'ers with the baseline equipment for pvp (eg ACCx3 weapons, something that replaces borg2 piece +fleet shields) and a ton of balancing, but what bpharma suggested should come first!
12th Fleet Are recruiting Active PvP'ers.
We have Full T5 starbase, Teamspeak and over 200 active members.

Go to Recruitment room and beam up! You'll be glad you did.
Captain
# 10
01-24-2014, 06:22 AM
If they add a lot of shiney rewards to pvp they will kill pvp.

There is a segment of any games pop that will do things only because there are rewards attached. Not because they in fact like it. You still see them out in PvPs flying in a line asking people to kill them so they can collect there D. (you see them in PvE as well if you Que and don't pull teams from DPS channels ect... we have all seen the guy that does as little as needed or messes it up on purpose... likely because they are bad bot programers)

Make it meaningful to the players is the answer.

I am not sure that cryptic has the will to do that.

They are not setup to really do server vs server pvp obviously. (one server is the single best feature of STO)
They are not setup to do Fed Vs Klink anymore... that is likely going to end completely.

Fleets are to small a thing to be come something to pvp for.

Well perhaps.... I doubt they have the will to do it but imagine something like this instead of standard D / XP / Gear Rewards.

A system with 3 "Factions" for your fleet to Align with. Federation and Klingon Obviously... and perhaps an Outlaw type faction. (round about way to allow romulans to have a PvP faction lol) Imagine a PvP adventure zone sort of like the Sphere area... where they could have ground and space battle zones where battles take place for territory control. You earn "PvP fleet Credits" for completing... with one of Each faction getting bonus rewards for control of specific areas for specific time frames. Cryptic could also keep a list of Fleets that have contributed to each "Factions" totals... both for 1day / 1 week / life time type things... this could all be kept in game. No one person would be singled out like a leaderboard system... instead fleets would be listed as top "kill" "heals" "captures" "K/D" "Total time fought" "average time per fleet memeber" ect ect ect.

That would give us a reason... remove the personal glory and make it all about the fleet and the faction they are fighting for.

They could then create the next star base Rep grind as a PvP one... where most of the bonuses ground out are fleet ones... like discounts on gear ect... this way nothing new needs to be added... but Good pvp fleets perhaps could earn 10% 20% 30% per tier off Fleet weapons and gear ect. They could unlock projects like SB Space PvP decoys (for build testing purposes)... ect.

It could be a cool thing that the PvE fleets won't feel annoyed and have to grind for "Gear" and PvP guys can feel like they are getting some reward for the part of the game they love.
Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Last edited by antoniosalieri; 01-24-2014 at 06:25 AM.