Lt. Commander
I've noticed since playing this game that the UI or HUD is way too CPU demanding. Several threads have been made about this in the past by different people. The more Windows / Overlays / Reticle Boxes / Entries from Menu's are shown the lower the FPS becomes.

(Alot of people complain about lag when there are alot of objects, mines, torps, npc's on the screen while in fact the main reason for the lag is this exact problem im describing right now. Most people here will see a huge increase in FPS as soon as they disable the HUD with the special keybind)

The effect is certainly noticable when using the keybind to deactivate all UI / HUD components (here the FPS sometimes increases double time, its really really slowing the game down considerably at some places.

I've read somewhere before from a developer that the UI is drawn by the CPU only and that the GPU hardly does anything to accelerate it. "They are still trying to find ways to optimize this part of the game"

Is there any progress on this what so ever? I'm running a Q9450 at 2.6GHz stock which certainly isnt the best CPU around anymore but increasing the clock to 3.8GHZ considerably increases overall FPS. The CPU on 3.8GHz is quite identical in speed to a reasonably fast i5 processor.

The problem is, the drawing part on the UI is most likely just single threaded, so basically this means the single core speed is way more important then having a dual core, a quad core or even a 8 core processor.

So basically since the UI is not GPU rendered or and accelerated, the whole game FPS just slows down at some points even with the best GPU around this is just inevitable. Basically this means the GPU at some points is just 50 or even 25% utilized and the FPS especially in PVP is dramatic at some points.

99% of the games today all have GPU accelerated UI interfaces wheras no considerable slowdowns from CPU drawing crap is observed these days.

I'd like some more updates from dev's on what there can be done about this in the future?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Dude, this along with so many other graphic issues for low end system users are not even close to being a priority for the Devs to the point it's comical

Best recommendation I can make on it is try and set things for the UI/HUD as low as you can, the fewer 'things' on your screen the better until the Devs actually bother to give us low end system users some attention
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredCasden
Dude, this along with so many other graphic issues for low end system users are not even close to being a priority for the Devs to the point it's comical

Best recommendation I can make on it is try and set things for the UI/HUD as low as you can, the fewer 'things' on your screen the better until the Devs actually bother to give us low end system users some attention
Nice you at least acknowledge it.

But the problem is, my system is not really low end. Both my CPU Overclocked and my 2 6750's should be more then adequate to run this game properly, but the CPU demand from the UI is just idiotic simply because its not GPU accelerated like all games of today.

And yes, ive already decreased the amount of UI components and stuff but tis just undoable especially in PVP to just remove all Reticle boxes from items and ships and even the names to keep the FPS up above 50+FPS. minimzing chat also helps like 5 fps or so.

The GPU usage is just miserable 25% sometimes lol.

Both with 1 card and Crossfire. I know the crossfire doesnt scale well with this game but even using 1 card and have the hud enabled gives me poor GPU utilization lol.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, they've said that they intend to address some of the long standing bugs/issues now that they have more funding post-Perfect World buyout. With luck, this might be one of them. It'd be nice to not have the UI CPU bound and single-threaded, but I'm not holding my breath for it happening anytime soon.