Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I do have two monitors attached. I tried disabling one and trying again ... but that didn't help. Auxsthil ... do you have two monitors?

I am not opposed to the idea that my card doesn't have enough "oomph" ... but with all my other highly graphicly intensive games there has been no issue at all even at high resolutions with deep AA switched on. I also found that when I installed STO on my laptop with a poor card, the performance was good on that laptop.

Neil
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a 8800GT and it runs terrible when lighting isn't set to low. I can play any other game (Crysis, COD, LOTRO) without a hitch so it is STO related.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped2
I have a 8800GT and it runs terrible when lighting isn't set to low. I can play any other game (Crysis, COD, LOTRO) without a hitch so it is STO related.
Runing lighting on High adds normal maps to the game and they are used just about everywhere. I notice the high quality lighting model is optimized and runs quite well. There are some other graphical features that will destroy performance on the 8800's. The trick is finding the sweet spot. I would leave the High Quality lighting on though as it doesn't seem to be a primary offender to some of the client problems or zone related peformance issues.

The introduction isn't optimized very well. Performance in that area is sketchy at best. Again with the 8800's im seeing a massive performance hit with the environment mapping and lighting features. Naturally your going to have to run low to medium for most settings and some just leave disabled. We do however need a few more video options to better scale the performance to some of the older GPU's. Lastly performance can only go up from here as Cryptic tweaks the engine and there is definantly a sweet spot hiding in the engine for these cards we just need to find out how to disable a few of the problematic GPU functions causing it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 05:39 AM
I was running the 8800 GTS 512 and i cant say I noticed any severe problems, altho to be fair, it was pre-server upgrade and the game was generally laggy all round anyway.

What was alarming however, is in the 2nd day of headstart, my GPU burned out and I've been forced to purchase a ATI 5770.
Been great ever since (altho the 4 days inbetween Cryptic updated the servers)
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I've been having problems also and I have an 8800. This game really bogs down on my system, which is also a quad-core with 4gb. I wasn't sure if it was just horrific server lag, as everything runs slow when it bogs, but it sounds like STO and the 8800s don't play nice.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm no techie but here is what worked for my Nvidia card:
I'm using the 196.21 driver whql downloaded from Guru of 3d.
Open your Nvidia control panel through control panel or taskbar icon then go to 3d settings and select manage 3d settings in global settings scroll to the bottom and set the vertical sync drop down menu to force on and apply.
On the log in screen click options and in the advanced command line box type /maxfps 60 and enter, the options box then dissappears. Do this each time you log on.
Launch the game and load your character.
In options under the video tab I set Monitor vertical sync on, set dynamic lighting to offand set post processing to off.
You may need to increase brightness a bit to compensate for these changes. Mine is set at 120% brightness.
This made the insane fan noise stop for me and the game runs okay with world texture quality and character texture quality at 200%.
I must stress that this worked for me. it may not work for you. We all have to find that just right mix and matchof settings and drivers for each game these days.

NB I found this info in various posts here and elsewhere. Many thanks to those posters.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothandros
Runing lighting on High adds normal maps to the game and they are used just about everywhere. I notice the high quality lighting model is optimized and runs quite well. There are some other graphical features that will destroy performance on the 8800's. The trick is finding the sweet spot. I would leave the High Quality lighting on though as it doesn't seem to be a primary offender to some of the client problems or zone related peformance issues.

The introduction isn't optimized very well. Performance in that area is sketchy at best. Again with the 8800's im seeing a massive performance hit with the environment mapping and lighting features. Naturally your going to have to run low to medium for most settings and some just leave disabled. We do however need a few more video options to better scale the performance to some of the older GPU's. Lastly performance can only go up from here as Cryptic tweaks the engine and there is definantly a sweet spot hiding in the engine for these cards we just need to find out how to disable a few of the problematic GPU functions causing it.
That pretty much answers the question.

Normally, I would just scale back the resolution while keeping the graphics settings high. But with this game (and EVE Online) really is built for high resolution settings. I've got mine set to my monitor's native res at 1680x1050, but had to set my graphics settings down to "LOW" in order go obtain a high FPS rate and be consistent too. I've tried setting it to "HIGH" and then playing around with the settings to nail the performance killing culprate, but to no avail.

Do you have an ETA of when Cryptic will resolve the issue on the nVidia 8800 series?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-08-2010, 12:43 AM
I just started a thread that recommends that you update directx. If you have tried everything else, you might try this, just run a search for: directx redist feb 2010 (I downloded from softpedia, bout 110mb). This fixed all my problems with an ati card on windows 7 (I think its a windows 7 issue and not a card/driver issue). If you have tried everything else, might as well give it a shot. Note: the exe extracts the files to a folder of your choosing, just run dxsetup as an administrator after that then reboot.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-08-2010, 01:48 AM
I reinstalled DirectX and my fps jumped up to a constant 60 fps with most settings maxed. It had been like this during Headstart, but for some reason, the first retail patch made my max out at around 25fps...

However, it is now messed up again after 2 minutes or so in space combat. I saw some green squares on the screen for a second, then the fps dropped. Reinstalling directX is the only thing that fixes it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Okay so I was able to drastically change how well my system runs STO. This worked for me, I cannot garentee that it will work for you, however the steps I added do help most games run better across the board for myself, so i recommend you try this.

PC Specs:
Intel core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4GHz
4 gigs ram
8800 GTS 1 gig ram
Vista 32

1. Made sure windows was up to date.
2. Installed the latest direct x drivers.
3. Downloaded Driver sweeper from 3d Guru, and the 196.21 drivers from nvidia.
4. Ran Driver sweeper and checked off Nvidia - chipset, physx, display. Then analyzed and removed.
5. Restart.
6. Install 196.21 Nvidia drivers.
7. Restart.
8. At desktop go to advanced display settings and open Nvidia control panel. Click on the tab "Manage 3D settings." Find the options for triple buffering, set to "On", in the next row, Vertical sync, set to "Force On." Now press apply and close.
9. Start up STO and log in. Once at Character select press back and open options (Bottem left of screen). Go to video options and turn vertical sync on and once logged in type /maxfps 60 in chat pane. (Ty to trellis for command/idea)

Now I know some of you wont have 4 gigs of ram or a quad core processor, but doing all this made a drastic difference in my game preformance. Not only have I almost completely eliminated the graphical freeze lag I was having. I can now run the game at max, yes everything you can possibly turned up I have turned up. (Even bloom =P) and I run between 25-30 fps on ground and in space (Slightly lower in sol space dock, probably because of all the custom toons) which is prefectly playable by my standards.

If you still are having problems with FPS, a few things to try disabling that have the least effect on overall snazziness of game.

1. Set dynamic lighting to "off"
2. Set Shadows to "Medium"
3. Lower antiscropic filtering to x8 or x4
4. Set reflections to "Low"
5. Lower anti-aliasing or disable.

I hope this helps more frustrated peeps like me!!! (I don't know if this actually helped but I also put a 12" diameter desk fan on the side of my computer to remove all the heat issues (Minor heat issues) I was having)

Finally! TYVM Trellis!! You are a life saver, went to guru, found that driver sweeper looking for the drivers you mentioned. Also did the Vsync trick. Gooooooood Job!

*Edit* Was able to get my FPS to go from 25-30 to 30-40 by simple decreasing my anti-ailiasing from x8 to x4, and I honestly cant tell the difference.