Lt. Commander
I saw this thread a bit earlier about Tier 2, and it's good to know that when you get there, things really pick up. Personally, I'm still stuck in the second half of Tier 1
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=99167

It is an odd design philosophy, to make the game MORE boring for the player base's first 15-20 hours. Honestly, that's the real problem I've had with STO since Open Beta...everything else aside, the lower levels simply take too long, and during that time, you're stuck in the same boring ship as everyone else. XP rate should be doubled during that time period, at the very least.

From the description of the Constitution-class Tier 1 Gamestop bonus:

Players control this ship for roughly 20 hours before being promoted into the next class of ship.

Obviously it's been exaggerated to make the bonus seem more appealing but...really, Cryptic? You want players to spend 20 hours in their Tier 1 POS? That's more than enough time to get the hang of the game. 5-10 hours should be the very max, unless your goal is to lose as many player as possible in the opening month.

The point isn't to complain, but to let Cryptic know that unless they increase XP gain for Tier 1 - and soon - I think they're going to have a mass exodus of people who simply don't realize that the game vastly improves after the initial grind through Tier 1. Worse, I can't imagine anyone who reaches endgame wanting to make an alt, just to suffer through Tier 1 all over again.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 04:05 PM
IMO Leveling is too fast as it is. For me the problem, the only thing I get even a little bored with is too many missions that are just "Patrol the area and take out five mobs/groups of mobs".
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes, I will admit Tier 1 is lacking. But it's not horrendously boring - just not as fun as the higher tiers.

While I do agree it would do Cryptic well to make Tier 1 more fun, I won't cry foul if they don't. Because if what you say is true and people do leave, they are the ones who are too impatient and probably a liability to groups anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't think it takes too long, but I would like to see the difficulty notched up a bit, because it IS kind of boring when you're never in any danger of dying.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
/agree it does not take too long... it is pretty quick.
Lt. Commander
# 6
ROFL my god man do you want them to just give you the level it's not hard or long.
Lt. Commander
# 7
It's certainly not too long. I feel it's just right, maybe even too fast.

Now, if they can just fix the issue with the ridiculously easy combat, I can actually start enjoying my playtime.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Nope its not long and i like the pace. Seriously what's the rush any ways?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Seriously?

I mean... seriously?

*edited for angry content*

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Im just finding too many of the missions to be same old and a bit dull. Bit more variety will keep me playing. But i do see your point bout tier one dragging a bit.