Lt. Commander
# 111
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amido
When i first read the date i thought it was either a misprint or a joke

The concept is perfectly sound , with a bit more time and on a date that is not so obviously a special day for a lot of people (even if its special as in the other half not wearing certain parts of the male anatomy as earings if they make an effort) a world record is certainly doable

The media will get a hold of this and Star Trek fans to the ordinary folks are generally considered nerds , geeks at times, but, Star Trek fans + costumes + valentines day= sad lonely pepople that have nothing better to do on vanetines day than to dress up in wierd costumes and prance around on a bridge. within the ST comunity we know that its not completly false but on the whole is certainly not true .a scenario that can not be good for the Star Trek name , enough jokes about such fans already exsist , not just limited to Star Trek either, there is no need to add fuel to this for the sake of a premotional stunt.

Maybe im being overly pessemistic but ive seen how certain parts of the media , commediens , satirists etc treat such subjects and they are just going to hand them material on a plate( even if the date was not an issue they stil would have a field day with this sort of thing)

After saying all this , if the event does go ahead i hope it is a complete succes and the world record is broken , smashed and pummeled into submission i just wish the ones organising had thought a bit more about the date (unless that was the intention ie valentine day = love day = i love Star Trek) and given a bit more heads up on the event

To all those that do go , good luck and i hope its good weather for you
Completely agree. I have no other real problem with STO. I have a lifetime sub & I think it's worth every penny even so I paid over 215 total for my sub & pre-order; I am really enjoying playing. The downtimes don't even bother me & I think they are making good progress, but that's just me. Honestly though, this makes me very sad. It just perpetuates the myth of the sad lonely geeky Trekky. We're not all single guys with no social capabilities & no life outside of gaming. Most of us just love Star Trek & MMO's. I certainly do, which is why I am here. Not a good way to try & promote STO as an MMO for everyone, even those not familiar with the Star Trek universe. Come on guys, why then??? Most things have to be booked & cannot be cancelled unless you want to loose your deposit. Plenty of others out there that have had plans for ages set up for that day. So barely 2 weeks notice & on Valentine's Day. Well, honestly, it's not very clever. I love STO but I really think this is a really stupid thing! As you can tell, I am really annoyed about this as I would love to do & under any other circumstances I would have made the time, but Valentine's. Fat chance in hell. My hubby would kill me if I tried to cancel our plans for this LOL. I'd probably get stabbed in the ear while I sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondrew View Post
Same here, I'm married to a Chinese girl (who would castrate me if I missed Valentines) so we've got plenty on that weekend.

Also, if Valentine's weekend isn't bad enough, the Starfleet Ball convention in Bournemouth is held that weekend too so Trekkies in the UK are going to be spread pretty thin as it is.

Good luck though and I guess.......thanks for attempting something like this in the UK, things like this are usually reserved for the Americans!!!

Simon Hodgkinson
MANCHESTER STARFLEET

www.manchesterstarfleet.co.uk
UK STAR TREK FAN CLUB
Yeah Chinese New Year is a major celebration that cannot be missed for any reasons if you are Chinese & adhere to the culture. Ooooh I must look this Starfleet Ball up, not too far from me really. Brighton over here ! But yeah if that's the case, the pool is getting smaller by the second.
Lt. Commander
# 112
02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
1) Valentine's Day? My girlfriend's already upset by how much I play this game. She came home and cheered when she saw me baking cookies instead of playing this game. Did I say cheered? I meant cried in joy.

2) London? Not mainland Europe where it might be easier for people to access? I hope Namco did their homework and found that, per capita, there's a ton more Star Trek fans in the London area than other more easily accessible locations. Public transportation in England is ludicrously expensive. At least it's on a Sunday in a country that overthrew the Catholic church.

3) Which brings me to my next point. Not Montreal or Seattle or LA or somwhere else in North America? Hell, why not Berlin or Paris? Or push it back so the really committed trekkies can save up some cash and show some support by taking a trip to wherever you want to have your shindig.
Lt. Commander
# 113
02-06-2010, 02:08 AM
FYI: The event just happens to take place on Chinese Lunar New Year.
Lt. Commander
# 114
02-06-2010, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdude
It would be nice to have the next Guiness attempt at Vulcan Alberta Canada.
I think Vulcan would love that idea since CBS/Paramount said nay to their last Leonard Nimoy/promotion suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 115
02-06-2010, 05:55 AM
lol whoever turns up is going to be egged.

i live in area and word on the street is YOU GOING TO BE EGGED.

so far allready 50 people+ i know of have got a facebook site up ready just to form people to egg the geeks.

this going to be a MUST watch event cant wait

"live long and pros.......ahh you hit me in the face with egg"
Lt. Commander
# 116
02-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebort5050 View Post
Good grief no.

Dragging myself to a slum like London from one of the safest cities in the UK, dressed in a Starfleet Uniform no less? I'll be stabbed and robbed before I make it to the bridge.
Thought you guys would jump to get of of old run down Sheffield.

I would go but there's not a chance I would dress up, maybe watch from a distance.

Good luck with the record if you get the people guys
Lt. Commander
# 117
02-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcreaper View Post

so far allready 50 people+ i know of have got a facebook site up ready just to form people to egg the geeks.

what street is that word on, Sesame street Kiddo,

If anyone can actually decipher and read this, I think its a story about a geek, egging geeks lol.

really must have no life to put all the effort into a Facebook campaign, collecting other losers of the net to meet up with, Then wasting a day to act like a 10 year old with eggs.

Dam that's a cool life you have there mate rofl
Lt. Commander
# 118
02-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcreaper View Post

Well that'll just show everyone what kind of a community there is around there then if anything.
Lt. Commander
# 119
02-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Thought you guys would jump to get of of old run down Sheffield.

I would go but there's not a chance I would dress up, maybe watch from a distance.

Good luck with the record if you get the people guys
Sheffield is not run down.

I think your thinking of Rotherham next door, what a dive! It's council buildings are 1920's castoffs.
Lt. Commander
# 120
02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Damn! I am a cosplayer but I live in Blackpool and have no way of getting there...if it was at the expo i would have gone