Lt. Commander
# 1 Science Team III
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Has anyone seen this skill on a Bridge Officer?

I leveled up my Captain Scientist skill in hopes to just train it. When I noticed it wasn't functioning, I figured I would just purchase a BO with it already and train from that. However, I have not seen Science Team III on any of the Bridge Officers on the Exchange.

Is the skill not in the game, hence why I might not be able to train it to my BO's myself?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 05:48 PM
The ground skill "Scientist" gives you it once you've reached level 9 in it. Looking at websites and such (seeing as there's no official source on skills, rather disappointing) it's a lt.cmdr skill but I cannot for the life of me train it to my lt.cmdr boff. I'm guessing that it's a cmdr ability - in which case, there really needs to be a proper source of ACCURATE info for this game. It's pretty pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Correct. I trained it to level 9 just for this purpose. However, unlike the other skills I have gotten to 9 to unlock training, this one does not unlock the BO training for Science Team III.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm guessing it's just a bug, but it's a damn annoying bug at that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Going mad trying to train this up as well.

There is a NPC by the Power trainer who refers to 'unlock training nodes', not quite sure what this means.

A better question would be 'Has anyone managed to train a BO with a Character, if yes....how did you do it?'
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post

There is a NPC by the Power trainer who refers to 'unlock training nodes', not quite sure what this means.

A better question would be 'Has anyone managed to train a BO with a Character, if yes....how did you do it?'

Well, I have the same issue with Science team 3. It won't let me train.

In Open beta, if you trained a relevant skill to rank 9, you then got a message saying your captain could now provide training in that skill. And then you go into character screen and one of the tabs on your captain has a button that says train. Hit that and it should list all the skills you can train, and let you train your officers in that.

Whether they broke this for launch or not, I don't know. Science team 3 is the only skill I should be able to train with my captain, but it doesn't work. I presume it is uniquely broken, and others work, though. I can't imagine they broke anything new, they didn't exactly fix much for launch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post

The NPC Trainer will only Teach Level 1 and 2 versions of skills. Level 3 version skills are trained by Captains or obtained from a BO in a Quest reward.

For a Captain to Train a Level 3 Version of a Skill, they need to have personally trained 9 Ranks in the associated captain skill. Of click on your skills, the detail section will inform you of what BO skill it will unlock and allow you to train.

For instance if you train to Rank 9 Scientist, you are supposed to be able to Train Science Team III. This didn't work to me. However, when I trained Starship Sensor Array to 9, it did allow me to train Jam Sensors III for by BO's.

So I am guessing it is the Rank III Team skills themselves which may be bugged.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 06:34 PM
With luck, this issue will be addressed in tomorrow's patch.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not a science captain but I do fly a science ship. Guys, and maybe I'm directing this to the wrong crowd, but do you know if you can train and then trade a BOF with Science Team III. I will PAY good money for it if you can. And from the looks of it, I guess it's broken for you guys currently? I'm an engineering captain flying a science ship and I LOVE this ability. All I have though is science team II. 3 would be awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanusus View Post
I'm not a science captain but I do fly a science ship. Guys, and maybe I'm directing this to the wrong crowd, but do you know if you can train and then trade a BOF with Science Team III. I will PAY good money for it if you can. And from the looks of it, I guess it's broken for you guys currently? I'm an engineering captain flying a science ship and I LOVE this ability. All I have though is science team II. 3 would be awesome.
Can't find Science Team III at all, nor Engineering Team III.

The only train you can do is to BO's already commissioned and on your team. This would prevent training them to trade. You will have to look for the Rare reward ones to have a skill you desire.

I hope they vary the rare reward ones eventually, they are pretty cut and dry and duplicate frequently. Many of the Captain Trained Rank III skills aren't showing up on them.