Lt. Commander
# 11 Distress Beacon
02-03-2010, 06:18 AM
All of these are great ideas, and that is how I pictured the game to be when I first heard of it a while ago.

I personally would like a distress beacon button. If you are in combat either PvE or PvP and you are out gunned, you should be able to put out a distress beacon that will alert others near that sector that another fleet ship is in trouble and can assist and become a side mission for them.

To prevent it from being overused it should only be active if you are getting your aft handed to you by being outnumbered by a set ratio of say 10 to 1, or you have been destroyed a set number of times.

I think this would add to a more, one star fleet feeling than the its my ship and I am doing this alone.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Though I agree that KOTOR and Mass Effect are both great models, I don't expect quite that level of development on the part of Cryptic. I just think it would be nice if the missions weren't quite so linear and challenged you to actually read the dialogue being spewed out. I like many of the story concepts I've seen, but they need to be more fleshed out.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 07:16 AM
These are really great story ideas, but they are rather unrealistic.

1) This is an MMO not an RPG. Cryptic doesn't get paid for you to read stories. They get paid when you buy gimmicks (like, I dunno.. a Klingon skin)

2) This game is made by Cryptic. They can't even fix simple graphical bugs like starships warping out twice or incorrectly at mission end, or making space combat truly 3-dimensional but you want them to add more choices on away missions, and personality/emotion development for your character?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't expect them to add character development per say, but story development would be nice. Also, a greater degree of mystery when going into a mission scenario rather than sending me on the same mission over and over again with different environments and character names.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorban View Post
The following list of suggestions will be given in rank of importance. The first 5 I hold to be essential, but the latter points are simply innovations that I'd like to see.
You're proud of your ideas, aren't you?!

Quote:
1. More fleshed out dialogue options in missions which affect the outcome of the mission and allow for multiple approaches to missions. (snip)
Like something akin to how Fallout 3 is set up? I think it's an interesting idea, however I'm not certain how well this would work with the group content. For example, what happens if two people on the same team choose different answers that would cause them to have to do different things? I'm all for more dialogue. I'm not certain that the current way that missions are implemented and scaled for solo or teams would allow for the meaningful system.

Quote:
2. A greater variety of missions, accomplished primarily through the use of mini-games. Thus far, the content I've seen has been limited to run-and-gun combat missions, moving around the map searching for generic objects to scan, and delivering supplies. Don't get me wrong, I love the space combat (barring a couple of minor points which I'll touch on later), but the Star Trek universe should not be limited to it. Given that combat has been well developed, I will suggest some ideas to flesh out the exploration, and diplomatic aspects of the game. (snip)
You're dead on right! This is something that's been beaten to death throughout the Open Beta (and probably before). The early Lieutenant missions are terrible. The game still feels wooden and unnatural. A bit like a Vulcan telling a joke. The later missions are better, but that doesn't mean that the first 20 missions or so are not terrible. They really do need to revamp them, link them together better, and work on raising the bar on them.

As far as exploration, do the exploration missions. They aren't really that well done, but they are close to what you are suggesting. Once again, they also scale to the number of people in a team, so I'm not certain how well your idea could be implemented.

Quote:
3. Next, both space and ground maps ought not be prolifically populated with enemy encounters, but ought to have a few key encounters that are more challenging and offer different approaches. Again, sabotage by taking hacking defense systems, evasion by interrogating an npc and finding a secret route, diplomacy, bribes, threats, etc could all be implemented. These sorts of approaches could have skill point awards that running in gunning would not necessarily achieve. For instance, bribing an enemy group early on in a mission might win you an ally later.
I like this idea, but they'd really need to get out of the box that they've put themselves in. I don't think there even necessarily has to be new mechanics to try to do all these things. They have enough mechanics in the game to implement different routes. For instance, they could base it on the class of the Captain. For instance, there could be a dungeon with 7 groups of Klingons. There's a way to bypass 2 of the fights, if you are a Science Officer, because you can access a console that activates an emergency fire suppression system that locks the Klingons in a force field containment room. Another group or groups might be avoidable by an Engineering Officer accessing Jeffries Tubes or service tunnels. Tactical Officers just have to blast their way through.

Quote:
Also, the fewer groups that are present should be more aware of what's going on. I should not be able to ambush a group of enemies and have a group twenty feet away completely miss the action until I decide to go on to them. On the flip side, this would necessitate, again, that I not be moving around in a beehive in every ground instance I participate in. Let there be a few, challenging fights that may sometimes be avoided rather than a swarm of enemies that I have to trudge through. Does anyone else think that a few Miranda's should be taking on a swarm of cubes with any reasonable hope of success?
It'd be nice if their encounters were comprised of enemy patrols or in the process of doing something, rather than just groups of enemies standing around waiting to be killed. What makes sense: guarding a prisoner, placing a bomb, patroling a hallway, etc. What doesn't make sense: loitering.

Quote:
4. The next thing I'd like to see is accuracy penalties for firing while moving and firing at moving targets in both space and on the ground. Rather than having every shot hit, it would be interesting if one could throw some evasive maneuvers into their combat in an attempt to forgo some damage. Also, a distance modifier should be added which affects accuracy as well.
Err, not for ships. You're violating Trek canon. The computers are doing the actual targetting, and the computer processing is at FTL speeds. Since all of the ships are traveling at slower than FTL speeds in combat, then it doesn't make sense for shots to be missing. Torpedoes do miss, however, and it's a limitation of the engine that they can't animate that.

Quote:
5. The final crucial addition would be a death penalty. I'm not suggesting a loss of skill points or equipment or the like, but something to dissuade reckless charges. Perhaps a hit in experience for awhile, maybe a loss of funds, or badges, or merits even. Perhaps a temporary hit in stats. I would even recommend that if all participating players get killed during a mission, that they be required to restart.
I don't agree. No MMORPG requires players to completely restart from the beginning. They do intend to implement a "crew death" penalty in the future. The fact is, the only time I've died since the nerf patch in Open Beta three weeks ago was when I got in a fight with 5 frigates and 4 cruisers. You literally have to do something stupid to get killed now. I was soloing Fleet Action mobs last night by kiting them.

Quote:
6. It would be nice if there were some random missions peppered into the sector maps. (snip)
Yes to all except the forced departure.

Quote:
7. Unique technologies would be cool. (snip)
No. See Star Trek canon and game balance for details.

Quote:
8. Finally, I think that the starship classes should be differentiated from one another.
No, mainly because later ship classes do that. The differences between a Centaur and a Miranda are too small to measure.

Thanks for suggesting ideas! It's important to keep new ideas out there, even if people don't agree with them.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorban View Post
I don't expect them to add character development per say, but story development would be nice. Also, a greater degree of mystery when going into a mission scenario rather than sending me on the same mission over and over again with different environments and character names.
That's what role-playing is for. There's going to be a group of role-players getting together on DS9 this Sunday, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the in depth feedback. I think that you make some nice points well worth considering. All of my suggestions are of course very in need of further development, but I'm glad the conversation is being had anyway. Hopefully it will stimulate some ideas that are even better than mine.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Decent suggestions. However, STO has enough issues without throwing a death penalty into it. Talk about jacking up the repetitive factor which is already high. Maybe 3 years from now when we have the content the OP suggests, but not any time soon for a death penalty. Other than that, good suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM
some really good ideas here, glad I read the OP.

One thing I think is needed is that many locations feel very empty and big, there should be more NPC's around the place, even if they have irelevent dialogue sessions where they just talk to you about lore it would be nice. and also useful for people less familiar with the history of star trek.