Lt. Commander
# 31
02-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
If your team keeps its ships together, it doesn't even have to be in any kind of formation, the Klingons will have to come to you. Like it or not, in this game the advantages of Federation ships are decent shielding and support abilities so you're going to have to get used to sticking with your squadron, using teamwork, and laying mines.

The way Klingon space combat has been implemented is an obvious "wolf pack" style, they are faster and do more damage but they will die more quickly. They will either have to wait for one of the impatient Federation player to break off from the group or they will have to take a risk and go for you while you "turtle".
This, 100%

The races have been designed with radically different play styles in mind, and to be successful those differences dictate that klingons have to hide and attack opportunistically, they are not built to stand and slug it out toe to toe like the feds.

Evidentally Klingon players have adapted their playstyle to suit the situation the way they have to, where as the people complaining here obviously havent.

Yes 20 minutes is a bit extreme, but thats what being an opportunistic stalker is about, you wait out your opponent, let them get complacent and eventually one will move to a position where you can take them out in relative safety, or enough will get bored and leave that you can take the remainder to peices happily.

Adapt, survive, learn to use sensor sweeps. Lure the klingons in with what look like easy kills before crushing them.

From playing both sides in CB and OB i know there are some good players out there on both sides with some great tactics, so dont be afraid to leave a match and join a new one if you have to, but complaining about players playing the game to the stereotype built into the game and canon (ugh i cant believe im using the canon thing in a post) is really not condusive to keeping things interesting
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-03-2010, 01:57 AM
don;t science vessels have abilities to get rid of cloaks?
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-03-2010, 02:05 AM
lmao at everyone who is mad becuase STO makes you use the smallest bit of strategy. Gods forbid that you cant just get the best gear and pew pew your way to victory.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Get a science ship and a maxed out ability to scan for cloaked vessels.

Gadareth
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-03-2010, 02:48 AM
For the love of...well...that guy...

Why is everyone whining about the Klingon cloak ability!? A similiar argument arose from the Stalkers of City of Villains. They could stealth and do massive DPS, run away and then stealth again. Other players whined that they were OP...THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE DESIGNED TO DO!!! They hide, they strike, they run and hide again and wait for the next opportunity to strike. I hate it, but my Mastermind could summon up to six other "pets", is that unfair because there are more of me and less of them? Brawlers could take ridiculous amounts of damage and dish out just as much. The ultimate 1v1 character... Is that unfair too?

Do I think that those particular Klingons pulled a fast one on you guys? Yes. Very &$%#^@ annoying. Can I blame them for choosing this tactic? Hardly. As infuriating as it is, that's their best defense as their ships are more squishy than Feds. They simply can't go toe to toe with Feds (unless specced right I would imagine). I take it PvP matches have a point-based victory system? While they wasted a lot of time indeed, they won because YOU GAVE IN. They were honourless and cowardly, however we could also assume they were repairing their ships and rethinking their strategy.

Take a pro-active approach, use the anti-cloak abilities or ensure you have a sci ship in your group to sniff them out when in PvP, bear in mind that this ship WILL be a high value target and protect it accordingly but if you simply sit there and whinge, it doesn't solve anything. Fed ships can't cloak but they have a wide variety of abilities (from what I've read on the forums, because unlike you lucky guys and girls I haven't been able to play yet) to counter cloak. From what I've read - sci ships have advanced sensors and ships can vent warp plasma which disables cloak (apparently). Do you have access to these or similiar abilities? If the answer is no, then you're up a rather smelly creek without a paddle. How can you compete against an enemy you're unfit to counter? It's like walking through the desert with no water...
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucSkywalker View Post
sensor sweep small random patches of space hopeing to find stealthers who are in full impulse? LMFAO

just stfu and let cryptic fix this
The typical fed 'tard that sits at the middle of the ball, in a cruiser, with mine launchers fore and aft, with 100 energy in shields and smack talks the Klingons to attack.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Devs could put a 5 minute timer on cloak (in use, no change on CD) then atleast you have 20 seconds to find them... (Unless they pop MES during the CD, but atleast they'd all have to take/have MES).

Klings can't argue you'd need more time on cloak, 5 mins could repair a starbase...

Or the devs put a 15 min timer on matches to force a fight.

Or sacrifice someone to get their position...

Edit:

If a science ship was able to find cloaks at any significant range it would be ok. But its ~10k... Thats not very big... Maybe a long range scan that only shows up cloaked ships >50km away. Atleast you know where they are hiding.

I've also noticed Klingons leaving as someone is afk cloaking in a PUG on their team and they don't want to play 4 vs 5...
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey2ham View Post
Devs could put a 5 minute timer on cloak (in use, no change on CD) then atleast you have 20 seconds to find them... (Unless they pop MES during the CD, but atleast they'd all have to take/have MES).

Klings can't argue you'd need more time on cloak, 5 mins could repair a starbase...

Or the devs put a 15 min timer on matches to force a fight.

Or sacrifice someone to get their position...

Edit:

If a science ship was able to find cloaks at any significant range it would be ok. But its ~10k... Thats not very big... Maybe a long range scan that only shows up cloaked ships >50km away. Atleast you know where they are hiding.

I've also noticed Klingons leaving as someone is afk cloaking in a PUG on their team and they don't want to play 4 vs 5...
Do you know how long it takes to organise a group of klingons?
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-03-2010, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey2ham View Post
Devs could put a 5 minute timer on cloak (in use, no change on CD) then atleast you have 20 seconds to find them...
Why? You can already find cloaked Klingons.

It just requires teamwork *gasp, not teamwork in my MMO!*
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminblake View Post
I was in a pvp match with my fleetmates and we were winning 8 to 4, the klingons decided it was in their best interest to all go cloaked making it almost impossible for us to find them. they stayed cloaked for 20 MINUTES!!! we decided to leave because they were being jerks. Cryptic something needs to be done about this. Waiting for 20 minutes in a pvp match with our thumbs up our butt is not FUN.
Its funny because you dont get much of a difference in winnings for actually winning. Its based on your performance.
I've lot matches and recieved better winnings than some matches I won.

I'm a klingon player who doesn't do that crap because it would mean I'm an idiot.

I could spend that wasted time playing more matches.