Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
This is essentially what all Multi player games have come down to. People don't want to have to try, they want the "happy win" button". They want to win, but they don't want to play. They want to play a game that's more roll the dice than skill related so everyone's on the same playing field and never has to hold their losses at their own fault.

This is the mass consumer gamer. This is the person the bulk of games are marketed to. This is the second largest gaming demographic. This is a major reason why games have become more bland, repetitive and easy in the past years.

Sadly, those of us who want a challenge or just something different are a small group. Our opinion are over ruled and we're ignored. We make up a comparatively small marketing group and, let's face it, if the only games available are easy, repetitive and bland, we can't very well buy a fresh, challenging and engaging game because they don't exist. Most of us will ultimately cave in and buy the crap out there anyway.

But, you know, if it sells why make different games? After all, it's only our opinion that games should be more meaningful and challenging and sadly we're overruled. To hell with the cultural impact and loss of substance, game publishers are making loads of cash!! And as long as you're rich you're, who cares if you're destroying your culture?
Capitalism is truly best experienced with a healthy dose of ignorance and largely unilateral populace, be cause targeting niches just isn't cost effective.
I can't really agree with you more without cloning myself... I remember at least 10 NES games (2 of them being some of the most popular games STILL) that would make kids CRY because they were almost impossible to beat. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that most games before the Playstation/XBox era would be harder than most Hard difficulty (or even Impossible or whatever they are trying to call it) levels.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 01:09 AM
There should be a larger amount of time between decloaking and raising shields, and lowering shields and actively cloaking.

The disadvantage in the show to cloaking was the huge amounts of vulnerability while in the process of cloaking and uncloaking. This should be represented in game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
I am not afraid to admit it I suck in PvP since I have only been in a handful of matches and from what I see the game is set up that PvP is done by level. Unfortunately even though I am level 13 I just have no staying power with my Cruiser against 5 BoPs I am lucky if I last 30 seconds. .
Did you really just say that? Did you really just lament the fact that you can't solo five other human players simultaneously?

Help! My brain is on FIRE.

Please, please don't ever comment on PVP again. Not on any aspect; not for any reason. If you feel the urge to post, just think of the brains. You don't want to hurt the brains, do you?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Am i wrong? But dont us klingons have to escape out of weapons range so 10km and wait for red alert to stop before we can cloak?
With that in mind cant the Feds pop the same cooldowns to keep up and stop us cloaking?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevans View Post
Am i wrong? But dont us klingons have to escape out of weapons range so 10km and wait for red alert to stop before we can cloak?
With that in mind cant the Feds pop the same cooldowns to keep up and stop us cloaking?
Nope. Don't know what you're smoking, but I've had BoP's at 3km cloak just in time for that +40crit quantum to have no effect on him whatsoever.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 02:12 AM
This whole thing is so sad honestly. I remember **** and stealthing there (yes i was a Melee infiltrator) i would tear apart people alone, until i ran into a thane OW. Ok off topic (any other klingon's ex SB players that was fun pvp until it became cookiecutter).

Baack to topic. To stop future Crying about Battle Cloak I'm going to do what people shouldve thought about or your own side told you about. If you look at your tactical Boff you can get a Torpdo Skill .........When a BoP is nearing death and starts to fade (this is a 100% win vs rookie's, yea i said it you aint got skill or timing) (its a 15% escape vs Real Players) SLAM THAT TOPREDO SKILL and JAM it in em........you may not see the boom at first but chances are when it hits thats at least 6-7k dmg (50% hull dmg on a t2 bop, so if its 49% its dead).

Thats 1 trick another Sci Officers use sensor scan if it LOOKs like that BoP gonna run, then pump your Aux to max (psst this is for tac and engi to) Scan will see them and prevent from fulling cloaking (debuff no shields BAM). Also you non sci if a BoP hits BC and escapes but didnt hit EM ramp your aux up and chances are you can spot him.

Ok thats enough for right now. Maybe next time I'll explain why a Wolf Pack was so effective in WW1 and WW2 and why the destroyer was originaly created (sci ship fyi).

Ravari R'hak
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevans View Post
Am i wrong? But dont us klingons have to escape out of weapons range so 10km and wait for red alert to stop before we can cloak? With that in mind cant the Feds pop the same cooldowns to keep up and stop us cloaking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jes-
Nope. Don't know what you're smoking, but I've had BoP's at 3km cloak just in time for that +40crit quantum to have no effect on him whatsoever.
Classic case of someone posting about balance without even understanding the game mechanics.

He's not smoking anything. Only the T2+ BoP can cloak in battle. All other ships types can cloak only after the red alert state drops, as he said.

As for what you're smoking, I couldn't tell you. Cloaking doesn't make weapon fire magically disappear. At 3KM that torp will still hit, and hit hard. Cloaking drops your shields instantly, and any weapons that were already fired are still coming in. Most of the time you end up taking those torps on your unshielded buttocks. Sometimes you can EM/engine battery and get far enough away to "run out" a torp and cause it to miss. And by the way, as a Fed you can do exactly the same thing, minus the cloak, which just means that if you fail and the torp hits anyway it will be hitting shield and not hull.

The BoP's battle cloak is a gamble. Sometimes you can get away from the incoming doom and reposition for a new attack; sometimes you can't get out of dodge in time and cloaking just accelerates your own death. It's part of what makes flying the BoP a tough but rewarding experience. I can try to cloak, but I'm also made of paper so it's always a roll of the dice.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travistrout View Post
As for what you're smoking, I couldn't tell you. Cloaking doesn't make weapon fire magically disappear. At 3KM that torp will still hit, and hit hard. Cloaking drops your shields instantly, and any weapons that were already fired are still coming in. Most of the time you end up taking those torps on your unshielded buttocks.
Not sure if it's bug but I have seen many torpedos (6 torpedos once) explode on nothing and not do any damage to a cloaked ship in PVP.

I think the cloak just adds strategy, sneak in a hold before they attempt to cloak or de-cloak them with a sci ability.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I meay be reading this wrong, but I think the OP is not asking about 5 on 1. he is (again if i understand it) saying "What if":

5 fed ships (all same your pick) vs 5 KDF ships (again all same you pick)

5 KDF all target fed ship #1 and use the BOP, ship #1 is almost dead, and second volly of "normal firepower" kills him. so now its 4on 5 and the cycle repeats.

Now lets switch it.

All the feds use BOP on Kilingon #1 he is almost dead, he cloaks, he is not dead, but we have somewhat the same results. 4 on 5. The problem is, as the feds (who would have used the BOP cooldowns to work on #1, have to use the "normal attack" on #2, while at this time 2-3-4-5 (and #1) before he left, had used there BOP on fed ship #1 and its gone, forever... SO if things go in this manner, by the time the feds are working on #2 KDF, and he cloaks, the feds are down another ship (scratch #2 fed) by this time #1 KDF has rejoined the fight and KDF#2 will soon. So with the laws of attrition (spelling?) it would seem the KDF has the upper hand. A claoked ship out of battle is not the same as fed ship that is destroyed, both do no damage after death or claok, but once can come back quickly.

Of course we all know theory and what happens are seldom the same, and the example above is pretty much perfect scenerio, which will most likley never happen. I know I'm not sure on fed and KDF weapons and there DPS comapreing ot each other. I thought i had read they are compareable, just some wepaons types ignore some things etc.. SO do Feds have better shielding or hulls then? it seems the i read the feds have an advantage in some way so the KDF needs Cloak?

And somebody up above said not all KDF can cloak at any time, again I have played one KDF and have no idea.

I dont see PvP as any real problem as the KDF had crap for content to level (not many will put in time to do the slow ugly grind that KDF has). Upside is all there content to level is based on getting good at PvP, which could lead to alot of sheep on Fed side. I see the neagative as being the KDF should be better at PvP the Feds simply becuase they have to be to level.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowofBlood
I can't really agree with you more without cloning myself... I remember at least 10 NES games (2 of them being some of the most popular games STILL) that would make kids CRY because they were almost impossible to beat. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that most games before the Playstation/XBox era would be harder than most Hard difficulty (or even Impossible or whatever they are trying to call it) levels.
It's really a shame. Gamine just became too mainstream.

Every so often, a good one sneaks out but it always stays under the radar. TBH though, those less popular multilayer games often have the most enjoyable communities on the count that people know each other more intimately and they don't want to risk pushing people out of an already small community.