Lt. Commander
what happened here?

I was running around in my little miranda kicking the crap out of everything, 3 bops and 2 cruisers at a time.

now i gt a new light cruiser and get ripped apart by 2 bops in about 20 seconds flat
I dont get it.

hell I did 2 of the lt commander missions in the miranda and now i cant do the third one with a supposedly better ship?
I know the cruisers faults, and i have no issue with the turn rate in this case (it is abysmal by the way) its the entire thing is underpowered.
Im running with 2 sets of mkII disrupter arrays and 2 sets of mkIII phaser arrays mkIII regenerative shields, a shield boost console, a plating console, eps console and disrupter boost console but I can barely take a shield out meanwhile these massive klink cruisers attach themselves to to the same face and never let go all while still ripping down my faces in about 3 shots.

how the hell do you use these silly ships? you cant even tank with it, or at least I cant.
why does a 2t ship need mkV gear to be any good?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Let's see now.. You're flying a barely skilled cruiser where before you had a fully skilled Miranda. Invest some skillpoints in the second level like Fed cruisers and Shield maintenance and keep trying. Aso, fit a torpedo in there somewhere.

And use engineering officer buffs. Emergency power to shields will always save you. Use rotate shield frequency if you're an engineering character(you'd better be or you'll never tank well at all). Also get reverse shield polarity as your lieutenant level engineering BOFF skill.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Also, what are your power levels set to? I run with 95/40/25/40 (w/ skills ends up at 98/47/35/47) and that makes a big difference. I also run with 4 phasers, 2 EPS devices, and a +7.5 phaser relay.

I'll second the powers suggested above though. As an engineer, I'm running with these Boff powers:
- Beam Overload I (skilled to 9)
- Reverse Shield Polarity I
- Engineering Team I
- Science Team I

And of course my emergency power to shields and rotate shield frequencies powers. Those powers give you a good survivability and if you can keep yourself broadsiding the target and firing beam overload when a shield facing is down you'll do pretty well, at least based on my experiences. I also have 3 science officers, so I can rotate Science Team out for Tractor Beam I or Polarize Hull I if needed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 12:00 AM
From T2 on up, it helps to focus your skills for ship weapons and BOff powers.

For instance:

I use cruisers, they are my favorite ship. So, I have 9 ranks now in Energy Weapons, Beams, and Phasers each, as well as a Phaser tactical console. This lets me brutalize enemy ships, and do significant damage if I also use Beam Overload.

Invest skills in certain pilot skills. The basic one affects all ships, the next rank up affects all ships of a certain class (so all cruisers). These skills affect speed, hull, and turn rate.

Play with your power settings. Cruisers are slow, so don't expect speed. I like to set my balance at 60/60/25/55, though currently I'm at 50/50/30/70. Keep in mind that the only thing that can push your power settings over 100 seems to be batteries (and the Red Matter capaciter). So, for my offensive setup I have it set to 80 for weapons. My skills combined with my BOff powers lets me crank that up to 98 for short periods.

Defensive BOff skills are a lifesaver. Emergency Power to Shields repairs some of your shield HP, gives your shields increased regeneration rate, AND gives your shields increased resistance to damage. Science Teams gives you some shield HP back, increases shield resistance, boosts all other science skills (like tractor beams) for a time, clears science debuffs, AND can be used on an ally (useful in a fleet action or PvP). You can stack the shield resists from these.

Make sure that BOff skills you plan to use are at as high a level as possible. It can make a BIG difference. High Yield Torpedoes at rank 9 has a 30 second cooldown, for instance. You also have a lot of skills that enhance certain BOff powers, and can be quite powerful. These are vital to your success. Plan ahead on what you want your BOffs to do.

Also don't forget your own skills. I run tactical, and evasive maneuvers is useful for offense and defense, allowing me to bring weapons to bare or turn my shields.

On the subject of shields, BALANCE THOSE SHIELDS, and do not be afraid to just use the arrow clicks to put shield power in to one arc rather than clicking in the center. This will move more energy to that arc than an overall balance, so it does make a difference.

Practice the overrun. Head at an enemy, blaze away with everything, shoot past, and fire those rear weapons on the way by. Some enemy ships will reinforce from other shields or turn away from you, leaving a weak side opposite you, which you can hit when you go by.

If you have tractor beam BOff powers, use them. This becomes important from T3 up with the SSLLLOOW cruisers. It not only holds an enemy, but crushes them like a beer can.

Anyways, just a few things to keep in mind.

EDIT: By the way, torpedoes can be your friends, even on cruisers. They just take more timing and planning to use, so look at them as a burst fire weapon, not a Damage over Time weapon.

Four beams can mean big power drain for a T2 ship. If your weapon power goes down, your beam damage drops fast. Keep an eye on that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Is your weapons power being depleted causing you to do next to no damage? Running with 4 beam arrays will drain your power out very quickly unless you outfit yourself with EPS consoles.

In the open beta I never experienced the cruiser being weaker than the light cruiser (aka Miranda), even right when I first switched.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 01:22 AM
One of my bridge officers is skilled in tractor beam but Do i need a tractr beam console or somthing?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Fundamental errors you're doing:

Using Phasers AND disruptors - That disruptor booster sure is being wasted here, and no torps for hull eating? tsk tsk
Using Regeneratives - Emergency to Shields maxed to 9 and you don't NEED regenerative. Go for Cap.
Using mk2 on a T2 ship - Noobland is Noobland, At Lt. Cmdr you're expected to have Skeelz!
Thinking the BoPs and Tingy's in T2 space aren't better than in T1 space - It's not just YOU who can use Mk4/Lt. Cmdr stuff now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoRmf5 View Post
One of my bridge officers is skilled in tractor beam but Do i need a tractr beam console or somthing?
Nope.

However, any item that boosts Emitters or Tractor Beams will boost that BOff skill!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 04:40 AM
Ive been saying since beta that a well fitted miranda is probably better than the t2 cruiser at first.

I would recommend cruiser captains stick with it until they start getting some better gear/skillpoints. The cruiser has greater potential, but the miranda has a great balance of maneuverability and firepower which makes it a very good ship.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfugue
Ive been saying since beta that a well fitted miranda is probably better than the t2 cruiser at first.

I would recommend cruiser captains stick with it until they start getting some better gear/skillpoints. The cruiser has greater potential, but the miranda has a great balance of maneuverability and firepower which makes it a very good ship.
wut?

What "skills" do you mean?

Starship command works for both, as do all entry skills.

In fact - you can't skill a miranda at all. its just there.

With a cruiser you turn in some agility for another weapon.
thats it.

don't waste points in the cruiser skill - i does not stack for later cruisers. STOP RECOMMENDING SKILING THAT!!!!

The reason you "fail" is because you are probably still trying to fly it like miranda.

Fit 2 phaser arrays front, one aft and add a mine launcher.

Done. Now fly circles around your prey and drop mines while destroing their shields with phasers.

Being already i na circle game with your prey your ability to quickly turn in either the aft or front shields maintained without sacrificing much in terms of pew pew power.

Do not use dual beam banks. those are for science ships.
Using those will only teach you bad tactics that will have you face plant once you reach the immobile cruisers.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
wut?

What "skills" do you mean?

Starship command works for both, as do all entry skills.

In fact - you can't skill a miranda at all. its just there.

With a cruiser you turn in some agility for another weapon.
thats it.

don't waste points in the cruiser skill - i does not stack for later cruisers. STOP RECOMMENDING SKILING THAT!!!!
A flaw with the skillpoint system, you will have to respec out of it later.

The t2 cruiser is worse than the miranda, what it gains does not make up for the loss of turning at first. Its only when you have good gear (mk 4) that it starts to work out. Till then the miranda with cannons is probably better.

Also we are talking about other skills as well, beam weapon, boff abilitiy boosting skills, etc.

Quote:
The reason you "fail" is because you are probably still trying to fly it like miranda.

Fit 2 phaser arrays front, one aft and add a mine launcher.

Done. Now fly circles around your prey and drop mines while destroing their shields with phasers.

Being already i na circle game with your pray your ability to quickly turn in either the aft or front shields maintained without sacrificing much in terms of pew pew power.
And a miranda will still kill faster=P

Quote:
Do not use dual beam banks. those are for science ships.
Using those will only teach you bad tactics that will have you face plant once you reach the immobile cruisers.
Science ships dont have enough slots for those, as both science ships and cruisers need to focus on getting a decent broadside first, and then some torps.

My loadout for t2 cruiser is 3 beams and a torp.

But then i dont fly cruisers anymore.

But three beams and a torp, or three beams and mines like you use, is not going to outperform a miranda with mk 2 cannons until you get better gear (mark 4 stuff). Which is why its probably best to stick with the miranda at first.