Career Officer
# 1 Free gear and where to get it
01-29-2014, 05:04 AM
The intention of this thread is to collect advice for players who would like to get their gear just for doing episodes and without having to spend either Zen or much eC at the Exchange. Feel free to add even more episodes that I might have overlooked, to clarify on specific episode rewards or leave comments.

You can repeat (=Replay) most of the episodes mentioned below as a link from the particular gear. Replay them to get the same gear again and again - though I advise You to check the link to stowiki first as there are a few exceptions to this general rule. Remember that You are able to leave out episodes not to Your liking as long as You do a few required key episodes (f.e. 'Go to Sector x') along the way. You can always repeat skipped Episodes lateron. Most of these episodes should have a link to a walkthrough in case You do not know how to complete it somewhat further down in their description.
The gear will usually be decent enough for Your first STFs (=Special Task Force - PvE team missions) and its quality does depend on the level of Your character on playthrough. With a Fleet Admiral (Level 60), You will usually get the MK XIII version. It will mostly be 'Bind on Pickup' so You won't get much that You could sell on the Exchange. With this gear, You should be able to work on Your reputation system and get the set gear there - or get access to Fleet gear, which both are superior to the mission rewards in general.

Deflectors:
Positron, Tachyon and Graviton Deflectors - on Replay, I prefer the Positron ones
Graviton Deflector Array[Em][InC]
Polarized Parabolic Deflector (part of the Breen Absolute Zero Set)
Jem'Hadar Deflector Dish (part of the Jem'Hadar Space Set)
Solanae Deflector (of the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Set)
Romulans: Tal Shiar Tachyon Deflector

Impulse Engines:
Efficient Impulse Engine - Klingons get these from this mission and Romulans here
Prototype Gravitic Modulation Impulse Engine - personal opinion: though very rare, I do prefer the Efficient ones or most Set engines
Combat Impulse Engine [Full] [Turn]
Supercooled Combat Impulse Engine (part of the Breen Absolute Zero Set)
Jem'Hadar Combat Impulse Engine (part of the Jem'Hadar Space Set)
Solanae Hyper-Efficient Impulse Engines (of the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Set)
Romulans: Dynamic Reroute Impulse Engine - less loss of speed from environmental hazards

Warp Cores:
Obelisk Subspace Warp Rift (part of the Ancient Obelisk Technology Set)

Singularity Cores:
Romulans only: Dual Injection Singularity Core [SingA][SingC] (and with [SST] if You replay the episode as Vice Admiral (50))

Shield Arrays:
various Shield Arrays with [Cap][Reg] - I personally prefer the Resilient ones; You can also get them here
Covariant Shields [Cap]x2 - only on Replay; You can also get them here
Regenerative Shields [Reg]x2 - only on Replay; You can also get them here
Paratrinsic Shields - Klingons find them in this Episode and Romulans here
Covariant Shields [Reg]x2 - only on Replay
Numiri Regenerative Shields - Klingons get them in this Episode
Reman Prototype Covariant Shield - different Hull pattern and basically a Covariant [Cap]x3
Resilient Shields [Pla][Tet] - okay vs. Borg on Normal and Tholians, [Pla] and [Reg] or [Cap] would admittedly be better like f.e. the
Shield Array [Cap]x2[Pla]
Resilient Shields [Ap][Cap] - nice vs. Voth and Undine (Dyson Sphere) or in a different version
Shield Array [Ap][Cap]x2
Dielectric Oscilliation Resilient Shields (part of the Breen Absolute Zero Set)
Jem'Hadar Shield Array (part of the Jem'Hadar Space Set)
Solanae Resilient Shield Array (of the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Set)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General, personal advice: You can find rare and very rare Deflectors, Impulse Drives and even Shields on the exchange that are often very affordeable at barely more than what You would get for them at a vendor (50% of the value stated in the item description).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starship Weapons:
Omni-Directional Antiproton Beam Array (only one per ship and part of the Ancient Obelisk Technology Set)
on Replay of the same mission, You also get the choice of an
Antiproton Beam Array [Acc]x2
Antiproton Beam Array, Dual Beam Array or Dual Cannons [Acc][CrtH][Dam] (replay) or the
Adaptive Transphasic Torpedo [Dam]x3[Borg] which You can get on first playthrough only
Plasma Beam Array, Dual Beam Array, Dual Heavy Cannons oder Plasma Torpedo Launcher - all with [Acc]x2
Plasma Torpedo Launcher [CrtD][CrtH]
Plasma Disruptor Beam Array or Dual Heavy Cannons - count as Disruptors, Klingons get them in this Episode and Romulans here
Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3 on Replay or here and here on playing through the entire patrol chain (repeatable)
Phaser Beam Array with either [Dmg]x2 (nah, don't get these) or [CrtD]x2 (yay!) on Replay - or as Retrofit [CrtH][Dam]) with a unique, TOS phaser sound - [Dam] is considered to be the worst weapon modifier for space content
Dominion Polaron Beam Array or Dual Cannons
Polarized Tetryon Dual Beam Array or Beam Array
Piercing Tetryon Dual Beam Array, Dual Cannons or Turret - on Replay
Klingons: Disruptor Turret [Acc][Dam]
Romulans: Caustic Plasma Beam Array, Dual Beam Array, Dual Heavy Cannons or Turret, all with [Acc]x2
Chroniton Flux Torpedo Launcher, basically a Chroniton Torpedo Launcher somewhere between [Dam]x2 and [Dam]x3
Chroniton Torpedo Launcher [CrtD]x2 or [CrtH]x2 or Chroniton Mine Launcher [Dam]x2 or [CrtD]x2 on Replay only
Chroniton Torpedo Launcher [Crtd][CrtH] or [Dam]x2 or Chroniton Mine Launcher [CrtD][CrtH] or [Dam]x2 on Replay only
Tractorbeam Mine Launcher
Vaadwaur Cluster Torpedo [Acc]CrtH] (splits into Tricobalt mines on impact)
Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo, Tricobalt Mine Launcher or Tricobalt Torpedo Launcher (both [Dam]x2) (the cluster torpedo is unaffected by BOff torpedo and mine abilities)
Rapid Reload Transphasic Torpedo Launcher
Hargh'peng Torpedo Launcher, Romulans get it here (and Klingons can get an updated version through a rare DOff mission or through Crafting); please do keep in mind that this launcher does not profit from any Bridge Officer torpedo ability (Spread or High Yield)
Romulans: Disrupting Photon Torpedo Launcher - basically a Photon Torpedo [Acc]x2 with a 5% Disruptor weapon proc chance

Personal opinion: I prefer Quantum- and Photon- (or Reputation System-Set-) Torpedoes and if it has to be Mines, Tricobalt or Nukara; otherwise, I decide on one type of Energy (f.e. Phaser, Plasma, ...) and try to get the best tactical consoles specifically for this type of energy damage. Avoid using different types of energy and the general (Directed Energy or Prefire Chamber) consoles as they do yield much less of a damage bonus. Tactical consoles buffing Torpedo damage are IMHO not that useful.

Consoles:
Neutronium Alloy, Prefire Chamber or Inertial Dampeners - on Replay
Neutronium-Alloy, Field Generator or Warhead Yield Chamber
Shield Emitter Amplifier - yes, no Field Generator but not too shabby
One RCS Accelerator or Plasma Infuser - the latter does increase the damage of Plasma energy weapons; Klingons get the console in this episode - regrettably only on the first playthrough of the episode
Romulans only: SIF Generator, Particle Generator or Directed Energy Distribution Manifold - personal opinion: I still consider dedicated Tactical consoles for the specific type of energy to be superior
Tactical - Counter-Command Multi-Conduit Energy Relay (part of the Counter Command Ordnance (Undine weapon) set)
The Duty Officer Mission Assignment Chain Childrens' Toys may (on a Critical Success) yield up to Very Rare MK XII consoles (yet unconfirmed: MK XIV with Delta Rising?) for just a few ressources You get by either collecting during episodes or other Duty Officer Missions - though which consoles You get in the end is completely random. But at least they are not 'Bind on Pickup' so You can sell those You do not want on the Exchange. Fleet consoles may offer a better quality and You get what You want, though.

Shuttle Weapons:
Phaser Beam Array-S [Acc][CrtH] or Dual Cannons-S [Acc][Dam] on Replay - Klingons get Disruptors-S with [CrtD][CrtH] instead; Beam Arrays-S have a 360-degree firing arc but can only be used on small craft (shuttles and fighters). Note that You can equip any Space equipment on a shuttle.

Tech Upgrades:
Expert Universal Tech Upgrade, also here

Devices:
Subspace Field Modulator - I use it on every ship of mine as (afaik) only players are able to do Proton damage; never leave Space Dock without it
A bit of Deuterium Surplus - can be useful to quickly get out of tight spots
Nimbus Pirate Distress Call - high cooldown but well worth using when things get sticky
Scorpion Fighters - only mentioned for completions' sake; personal opinion: much too fragile and less useful than, say - a battery

Duty Officers (DOffs):
Law - a nice Torpedo DOff (only one per character)
Dathan, Omet'Etan and Kudak'ika - a very rare Biochemist that allows You to replicate Ketracel White when on active duty, and a rare Energy and Projectile Weapons DOff (only one set of three per character)
Federation characters with Diplomacy 4 and KDF players with Marauding 4 can get Rai - unless You have a Romulan character who did not skip the Tutorial and who does not need either Diplomacy or Marauding.
You can also find rare and very rare DOffs in the Assignment Chains, especially the Colonization Chains in the Nebulae and Clusters (with season 9.5, You will find them on the according sector map) are well worth it. After finishing a seven-part Colonization Chain You get the Chance for a repeateable, rare mission named 'Support Expansion Efforts' in that particular Nebula/Cluster which might yield Fugitives (which can be traded for other random DOffs through missions - always keep at least one, though) or even rare and very rare DOffs, the type depends on the location of the chain. For example, a critical success on the rare 'Support Expansion Efforts'-DOff-mission (available after completion of the according colonization chain) in the B'Tran Cluster will yield the very rare Technician named Ten of Ten (very nice for Aux2Bat-builds) - while a normal success will provide the rare Technician named One of Four. This mission is repeatable so You can get very rare (Aux2Bat-)Technicians with relative ease.
A complete list of special DOffs and how to obtain some of them can be found here - though a few on that list will not be available at the current time.

Bridge Officers:
While they may not be the best of choices (especially for F2Play-accounts with a very limited amount of Bridge Officer space), I'd like to mention a few possible ones:
Borg Science Bridge Officer - can be claimed after completing the 'Assimilated'-Accolade by stepping into one of the Isolinear Molecular Reconverters in a Kithomer in Stasis ground mission and then claiming it from the Battle Group Omega. You will need to have the "Report to Gamma Orionis"-mission completed for this.
Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer Candidate from the Facility 4028 mission, one of the few BOffs who has the Torpedo: Spread III ability.
Federation characters with Diplomacy rank 4 or Klingon characters with Marauding rank 4 can claim one bridge officer of the opposing faction from Jiro Sugihara and Kazzgur (First City) respectively. I'd personally go with a Nausicaan for the damage bonus or a Human for the Leadership skill. These Bridge Officers can also be sold to other players through direct trading for quite a sum - though I think You cannot place them on the Exchange anymore.

It might also be useful to get a few Minor and Major Starship Repair Components from the vendor in the Ship Yard and leave a stack of them in Your bank so You are able to repair critical damage to Your starship during an STF. This can happen quite often after 'dying' during (Elite) STFs and will become worse with an increasing number of critical damage debuffs.

For NORMAL ground episodes and STFs, I'd like to bring forth the Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype Assault Rifle ('Ghostbusters Rifle') which can be a useful addition in a team; it won't help much on Elite as the Borg are using shields there. Also noteworthy might be the armours and kits (on replay).
And - of course - the Jem'hadar Ground Set.
Also, Environment Suits may be useful, alternatively look at the Solanae-version. They are (usually) no substitute for a good armor, though - but neccessary for some missions in hostile environment. Please remember before entering a hostile environment that You have to activate the suit using the (new) button usually right above Your task bar - You will notice the helmet lamp being lit on a working suit.

You can find still quite good ground kits (MK X) for a few eC on the exchange - or You can try to craft them Yourself - or start the Season 9 (with an emphasis vs. Undine) kitframes with the Surface Tension-Kit or the ones mentioned above. I personally think the crafting system is rather expensive and a bit awkward - but it can be useful here or to ask for a Fleetmate who might be able to create the desired kit. Fleet kits from the Embassy or Spire are even better, though - but they (and the pre-season 9 Legacy kits) cannot be personalized like the Season 9 Kitframes.
I usually get myself some Energy Dampening Armor with either [Ap] (vs. Voth) or [Pla] (vs. Borg), a Personal Shield with the same modifier and a Split Beam Rifle and a Pulsewave gun, which would be neither Phaser nor Disruptors as these energy types are part of the Omega reputation system and hence rather common; the Borg adapt more quickly to the predominant type of energy used in the team so it can help a bit to avoid a quick adaption. Do not forget to replicate and equip a Frequency Remodulator and to slot it in Your ground devices to counter the Adaption when fighting Borg as long as You do not have a complete ground set from the Omega reputation system (f. e. MACO MK XII, Honor Guard or the Adapted version once You got a complete MK XII set, the costume options may be nice) to be able to use the Integrated Frequency Remodulator (which counters Adaption instantly). If You are doing Defera, You can build the Fractal Remodulator, which is slightly better (3 instead of 4 Seconds) than the simple Frequency Remodulator.
Also of note might be getting Minor and Major Medical Regenerators and place a stack of them in Your character Bank so You are able to heal critical injuries during an STF (which will become more important when doing Elite STFs).
Almost free after finishing the Episode Spin the Wheel will be the Comet Cocktail - that allows You to breed a Triolic Tribble from any other tribble in Your inventory or bank. Watch any Food or Drink in the same location that You want to keep, though - as they may devour it as well. You can place such in the device slots of Your Bridge Officers that You do not use in Ground Missions during 'breeding time', for example. Do not forget to choose some DOffs for active Ground duty which compliment Your chosen Kit and gear.

You should be able to get some nice gear simply by playing which will help You to get through the first stages of the reputation systems more easily or until You are able to afford superior Fleet gear or something from the exchange. I did equip my ships with a Positron Deflector and Resilient Shields with [Pla] (vs. Borg) or [Ap] (vs. Voth) and some equipment from the missions mentioned above and it was easier to play through the first STFs in a team. So I could focus more on how to play, which skills and ship to use and which combination of DOffs helps my style of playing best. It might also be of interest to have a brief look at the Mirror Universe Versions of starships, which can be found for just a few eC on the exchange. They may be only Rear Admiral level (Tier 4/level 40) and still have no universal console but they offer a different combination of consoles and Bridge Officer stations that might be worth looking into.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
(at) deianirrah
Free Gear and where to get it

Last edited by deianirrah; 10-20-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Delta Rising first part
Ensign
# 2
01-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Thank you for this. How do you replay missions?
Captain
# 3
01-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagepap View Post
Thank you for this. How do you replay missions?
lol... just click in the "replay" button at the mission banner..

One thing .. mission = episode
Captain
# 4
01-29-2014, 10:09 AM
nice list. just want to add the dominion space set and ground set. All free for playing and replaying the "the 2400" feature episodes.

srsly powerfull spaceset.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 5
01-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
One thing .. mission = episode
Ah, indeed! Thank You, changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
nice list. just want to add the dominion space set and ground set. All free for playing and replaying the "the 2400" feature episodes.

srsly powerfull spaceset.
Uhm - both Jem'hadar Sets were mentioned already - with the name used in the item description and the according links.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(at) deianirrah
Captain
# 6
01-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Cryprtic should really think about going back and revamp some of the rewards on the older missions to create some incentive to replay them.

There are some examples, like the Breen or Dominion sets, the Plasma-Disruptor hybrids, small craft weapons, etc... where they have done well, but then there are also tons of missions which only reward a choice of uncommon, mk XI ground armour, uncommon [dmg] single cannons and the likes at lvl 50, items that are usually posted below replicator value on the exchange.

You'll end up better-equipped running a single farm-foundry mission, than the whole Klingon War story arc. ;D
Rihannsu
# 7
01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deianirrah View Post
Duty Officers:
Law - a very rare Torpedo DOff
You can also get nice Duty Officers from the Assignment Chains, especially the Colonization efforts in the clusters and nebulae. After completion of each Colonization chain, You will get the chance for a repeatable (rare) Support Expansion Efforts mission in that cluster/nebula that might yield Fugitives or even rare and very rare DOffs, depending on the location
you can also get a set of 3 doffs from completing Facility 4028; a purple vorta biochemist and 2 blue jem'hadar, one energy weapon officer and the other a projectile officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Ensign
# 8
01-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Note that under Devices for the Subspace Field Modulator, Voth do Antiproton damage, not Protonic damage. I believe the only ones currently that do Protonic damage are players.

Heavyguard
Career Officer
# 9
01-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
you can also get a set of 3 doffs from completing Facility 4028; a purple vorta biochemist and 2 blue jem'hadar, one energy weapon officer and the other a projectile officer
Which is why I did mention the Assignment chains in general but yes, might be good to mention this to clarify. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyguardx View Post
Note that under Devices for the Subspace Field Modulator, Voth do Antiproton damage, not Protonic damage. I believe the only ones currently that do Protonic damage are players.

Heavyguard
Clarified, thanks again! I admittedly thought that the Voth or the Swarmers did Proton damage in addition to their normal Antiproton damage but cannot find where I got to that conclusion.
(at) deianirrah
Rihannsu
# 10
01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deianirrah View Post
Which is why I did mention the Assignment chains in general but yes, might be good to mention this to clarify. Thanks!
Facility 4028 is an episode, not an assignment chain; it's the 4th part of the 2800 featured series
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic