Lt. Commander
While battling in space you get notices when your shields start dropping. For your front and back shields the warning says fore and aft, which is appropriate. However for the left and right shields the warning just says left and right... WHY???

Why didn't you make it Port and Starboard??? This is the one thing in the game that has annoyed me the most.

I understand making it simple for those who dont know which side is which, but having those terms in the game would teach those who didn't know which side port and starboard is.

That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it, but it's probably that way just to avoid confusion with people that don't know which direction sides are port and starboard, which is probably a decent enough percentage of the players.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Main reason is because alot of people probably wouldent understand. Also imo it should be your crew telling you that not the computer. Makes me wonder what they are doing while the battle is going on..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Because landlubbers abound, and are easily confused.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I noticed that too. i would rather the nautical terms be used.

(They are easy - 'left' and 'port' each have four letters)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknob
I noticed that too. i would rather the nautical terms be used.

(They are easy - 'left' and 'port' each have four letters)
Also it is pretty easy to understand when someone says your left shields are failing. Seeing how there is only one left of the ship no matter where you are upside or down it's pretty simple, there's no need for out-dated terms that WERE the dumb-downed versions in the 1st place.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div-II
Also it is pretty easy to understand when someone says your left shields are failing. Seeing how there is only one left of the ship no matter where you are upside or down it's pretty simple, there's no need for out-dated terms that WERE the dumb-downed versions in the 1st place.
Out of date? Those are still valid nautical terms. And they add flavor! :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknob
Out of date? Those are still valid nautical terms. And they add flavor! :p
No. They're completly pointless, there is only one left of a ship and one left on a target...etc. And besides they mean the same thing so why not just cal it what it is when they mean the same thing..
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div-II
No. They're completly pointless, there is only one left of a ship and one left on a target...etc. And besides they mean the same thing so why not just cal it what it is when they mean the same thing..
They fit the canon though.

And it isn't like it would take long to learn. Port side failing, look at icon, oh, that's the left side. Couple of times and you'll know, never be confused when reading a book about ships again.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Its a game, they make it as easy to understand as possible. Port and starboard would just confuse a lot of people.

Think about this... military time is simple, very simple in fact. 1-12 is the morning hours, 13-24 is the afternoon hours. If you want an afternoon time, just subtract 12. There are plenty of smart people out there that cannot grasp this, even after being told multiple times...