Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Can't say I have the same problem, good luck with it though!
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 07:32 AM
If I open the skills window (or anything in the "U" window) my FPS also drops. This causes some issues with equipping items in some cases and the video 'lag' gets in the way. It is much worse if I also have the Exchange window open.

I dont know really what it is doing. It does drop the FPS but I think it is doing so due to network overload, not video.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Frames per second have absolutely nothing to do with internet connection. You can be logged off and still have only 5 fps with the window up.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Frames per second have absolutely nothing to do with internet connection. You can be logged off and still have only 5 fps with the window up.
Huh? you cant 'log off' in this game and still have the window up.

And Yes the in-game FPS meter can be affected by network/ internet traffic. If the game is flooding packets your CPU cycles get taken up by that and you can lose FPS (this happens because of the way the game is programmed and can happen even with very fast network connections)

I may try and find a 3rd party FPS/CPU monitor that I can see while STO is up and see if something is spiking up that shouldnt be. I believe the issue is CPU rather than graphics and CPU can be affected by network things)
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Look at the end, you can clearly see the difference between one window and another window when I move the camera. One lags, i.e. low fps, one doesn't.

It can't be a network issue. What does network/internet connection have to do with the Framerate (Frames Per Second)? The GPU/CPU is doing the work for you to actually see any picture at all on the monitor, not the internet connection or network.

It's either CPU or GPU. And strangely enough I'm not alone.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Look at the end, you can clearly see the difference between one window and another window when I move the camera. One lags, i.e. low fps, one doesn't.

It can't be a network issue. What does network/internet connection have to do with the Framerate (Frames Per Second)? The GPU/CPU is doing the work for you to actually see any picture at all on the monitor, not the internet connection or network.

It's either CPU or GPU. And strangely enough I'm not alone.
I'm not talking about your connection speed. I'm talking about your CPU having to process a bunch of junk the game is sending to you over your network connection (all the data in skills window, exchange etc)

Hopefully they will fix it since right now it is really annoying for some folks when they open certain windows.

I havent actually done anything to my PC to try and resolve the issue yet. If I think about it I may try it when I get home tonight.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I've noticed this start to happen occasionally. It is terrible on the exchange though. If i did a search that brings up 100 results my fps crawls and it takes FOREVER to look at each one if I am looking for skills on BO's. The less search results found the less of a problem it is though. At a 18 result there was no drop in fps, at 50 or so it was starting to get bad and at 100 its insane. It obviously has something to do with how its loading because why would I be able to fly in space with many ships with little or no fps issues, but cant scroll down a LISTING of 100 items that the scroll bar only actually shows what 14 or so at a time?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Same for me, and as stated before, it gets far worse each time you rank up.

At commander it's really bad.

Specs
q6600 @ 3.4GHz
4gigs ram
ATI 5850
Vista x64

Can't make a video right now because of the ****ing login queue
But the game runs 70-80fps average for me, opening the skill window drops it to 10-15. But it's worse then just a slow frame rate, the entire game chucks to a halt basically.
Going to the inventory and assignment tabs and it will instantly shot back up to normal fps, only the skills tab that is effected, BO skills aren't as effected but I have a feeling that might change at higher ranks.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
As a general heads up, while I've experienced this, it's not just the skills window. The UI for the game itself has a crazy wierd performance hog.

To see what I mean, set /showfps 1, then hit alt+f12, and watch your FPS go 20%+ higher. I made a thread in graphical bugs about it, but realized that that is just for user support.

There is no post processing being done on the UI in the game(no shadowing/bloom/advanced 3d effects), so there is no reason why the UI should take 10%, much less more, of the game's overall performance.

I think the reason why you guys are seeing it get worse as you rank up is because more and more of the interface becomes interactive on the skill screen. I believe(again, this is just conjecture), the problem is caused by something with how Cryptic's UI code handles interactivity. The more interactive items of the UI(in this case, up/down skill buttons, plus the option to see more detail, plus the other tabs on the left) the more performance it takes.

I've dealt with /some/ UI code in the past, and have no idea what their code could be doing that would require this.

It does appear to be an engine problem, as the FPS boost I mentioned above is seen in CO when disabling the UI, and the FPS drop is also seen when in the power select screen on there, which has more interactivity.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Just to add some further information. I have not been able to see a significant drop (there's an initial drop due to load/update but it passes in a second and is complelely back to norm on mine in 3 seconds but Thats only a Lt.Cmdr)
I am still keeping an eye out for the issue though.

Fps can and will be heavily affected by Network traffic because network operation use interrupts (which essentially lock an entire area of the system). Graphics even if done mostly by the GPU still have to get to the GPU and that thru shared resources. If somethings causing bottlenecks (traffic jams) in areas of the computer it will affect graphics performance.
The graphic load of the skill window shouldn't be causing a heavy drop in FPS (its not complex enough to even cause 1% drop all by itself), the update of whats displayed on it could easily cause it however, and thats most likely to be network latency (not likely to ping, though it can be, possibly packet loss or most likely timing issues typical of heavily burdened server - interrupts lock things until completed and are typically a problem when used with external elements).

The interrupt locks are basically a necessity in any multi-tasking environment to prevent data corruption by being edited by multiple editing sources at the same time (and not aware of the other). Interrupts are also used in hardware since they need to 'evaluate' any change in its state or the record of that devices state will simply not be accurate and external hardware take a very long time compared to internal functions. Thats old school stuff though, there have been a lot of improvements and a lot of the issues aren't really issues anymore. The old school stuff still needs to be known & checked because underneath all the new stuff, the old stuff is still there and sometimes that old stuff really doesn't get along with the fresh new stuff.