Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
So, I'm I've gotten my Social media stuff configured in STO, and I'm wondering how I can take a screen grab in game, aside from the standard Alt-Print Screen, open MS Paint stuff. I couldn't find anything in the configuration settings.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 11:54 PM
The Print Screen key on your keyboard. The file will be stored in you STO folder.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Print-Screen button takes a screenshot for you.
Was looking at this last night as well and I found a subfolder called Screenshots (or something like that) and I had apparently taken 2 SS already.
Think the folder is somewhere in STO Online > Live > Screenshots but could be wrong... there IS however a folder somewhere where you installed the game (if it's steam it'll be in the Steam folder under programmes obviously).
Couldn't find anywhere to edit a screenshot button either.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
It will even remove the HUD from your screenshot, too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Awesome. Now, I've got one little catch...

The screen shots are encoded as *.tga files, which is a proprietary format. How can I convert these to *.jpg or *.png format?

EDIT: Also, how can I change the in-game settings so the screen shots are made as *.jpg or *.png files in the first place?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Awesome. Now, I've got one little catch...

The screen shots are encoded as *.tga files, which is a proprietary format. How can I convert these to *.jpg or *.png format?

EDIT: Also, how can I change the in-game settings so the screen shots are made as *.jpg or *.png files in the first place?
Get Irfanview, open the picture and just save it as the format of your choice.

Irfanview Graphic Viewer
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Actually, I solved the conversion problem on my own with GIMP. So, now I'm just wondering how I can skip a step and just take the screen grabs as PNG or JPG natively, if at all possible.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_Zero View Post
Actually, I solved the conversion problem on my own with GIMP. So, now I'm just wondering how I can skip a step and just take the screen grabs as PNG or JPG natively, if at all possible.
I don't think you can change the format the screenshots are saved in. Though it would be nice.

Thought I'd also mention, in case people didn't know, you can also take a screenshot by typing /screenshot in the chat window. This is useful for people playing on laptops. There's also an option to leave in the UI if you want.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxguy View Post
I don't think you can change the format the screenshots are saved in. Though it would be nice.

Thought I'd also mention, in case people didn't know, you can also take a screenshot by typing /screenshot in the chat window. This is useful for people playing on laptops. There's also an option to leave in the UI if you want.
Thank you so much, sir, as this helps people who are playing on Apple, too.

Silly PCs and your "Print Screen" button. Who would want to print "Screen" over and over?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darikgrey View Post
Thank you so much, sir, as this helps people who are playing on Apple, too.

Silly PCs and your "Print Screen" button. Who would want to print "Screen" over and over?
I'm on a Mac laptop, so feel your pain.