Career Officer
# 1 Dyson Science Destroyer
01-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Is it just me, or does the KDF version of the upcoming Dyson Science Destroyer not look very "klingon-like". Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful ship, but that's just it. It's too beautiful, bright, and shiny for any self-respecting Feddy smasher to fly. It's like asking a Harley riding biker to drive a Prius.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/w...1391025356.jpg
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
01-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Neither of those 3 looks like it belongs to it's faction. I don't know why Cryptic decided the weird Dyson material (which is awfull IMHO) to be the norm for these ships.
Hopefully, we'll be able to switch materials to proper Klingon ones, at least on their C-Store version.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Captain
# 3
01-29-2014, 02:19 PM
The new ships look less and less like they're from star trek universe, and more like these elaborate scepters from PWI's fantasy games.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
*Update - The C-Store variants of the ships will come with a different hull material than this white/purple Dyson one, so we'll be able to make them look apropriately Klingon.
Confirmed by a dev. in the thread regarding the blog.

Last edited by shpoks; 01-29-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Captain
# 5
01-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Just happy that Cryptic (for now) has stopped with their fascination in making **** shaped ships.

[Looks at several of the Romulan ships]
[Looks at the Bulwark]
[Looks at the Bulwark's "tickler"]
[Shakes head]

Yeah, the Dyson ships don't look their part as Fed/KDF/Romulan vessels, but it could be far, FAR worse.

Cryptic's Development Philosophy for the KDF & PVP
Captain
# 6
01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Aside from the comically long nacelles, I think the ship conforms to Klingon designs. It looks like a 'naked' Raptor combined with a Vorcha and has a Dyson inspired 'shell' wrapped around it.

My biggest curiosity is the physical transformation between Science and Destroyer mode. The Fed Solanae obviously opens and closes the forward saucer section. The Rom Aves has two little deflectors that appear to extend into cannons around where the neck and wings meet. The Nov, on the other hand, I just haven't been able to pick out any variances in the screen shots.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
01-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciesone View Post
Is it just me, or does the KDF version of the upcoming Dyson Science Destroyer not look very "klingon-like". Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful ship, but that's just it. It's too beautiful, bright, and shiny for any self-respecting Feddy smasher to fly. It's like asking a Harley riding biker to drive a Prius.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/w...1391025356.jpg
I think it looks fine. I for one am sick and tired of all the "native" Klingon hull materials that barely look any different from each other, everything being varying shades of rust-tinged green, rust-tinged brown, and dull bronze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet View Post
The new ships look less and less like they're from star trek universe, and more like these elaborate scepters from PWI's fantasy games.
Star Trek has had a long and eclectic tradition of spaceship design, from the Saucers-nacelle combo of classic starfleet ethos to a ship that looked like someone took a picture of a seed and left it at that. I don't see why a white ship that looks like it was made from polished ceramic is any more out-of-place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szerontzur View Post
Aside from the comically long nacelles, I think the ship conforms to Klingon designs. It looks like a 'naked' Raptor combined with a Vorcha and has a Dyson inspired 'shell' wrapped around it.

My biggest curiosity is the physical transformation between Science and Destroyer mode. The Fed Solanae obviously opens and closes the forward saucer section. The Rom Aves has two little deflectors that appear to extend into cannons around where the neck and wings meet. The Nov, on the other hand, I just haven't been able to pick out any variances in the screen shots.
The Nov appears to be based off the "chassis" of the Pegqhu Heavy Destroyer, and on that ship the core of the transformation is just in panels rising from the top and bottom of the hull. The secondary deflector and cannons could be located in those areas.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-30-2014, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
I think it looks fine. I for one am sick and tired of all the "native" Klingon hull materials that barely look any different from each other, everything being varying shades of rust-tinged green, rust-tinged brown, and dull bronze.
You do realize that the coloring of the hull materials boils down to ship-building tradition and the spacefaring tradition of certain speices and not what we consider "cool" or not, right?
The only remote way these Dyson hulls could make sense is if they use some speical "Dyson" material, which I'm 100% sure it's not the case since they're half black-half white.

Sorry, but to me these materials are completely out of whack. Like others mentioned before, no self-respecting Klingon warrior would let him/herself be caught in a pruple/white ship. Even the devs know this, that's why they're putting proper materials on the C-Store bundle.
The only one looking remotely apropriate with this hull is the Fed. ship and even that is by a huge stretch.

Lieutenant
# 9
01-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Alternative skins are coming when the C-store versions are released according to the Devs (and the free ones get them too), as well as the option to choose interiors. until then, you can always use some of the hull-altering set parts if you really hate it (Honour Guard for the Klingons looks suitably brown and dull, Romulans can use the Reman or Romulan sets, MACO and Omega doesn't change the white Dyson texture parts though).
Commander
# 10
01-30-2014, 07:37 AM
I'm fine with the look of this ship, it reinforces the not-entirely-from-around-here nature of these ships, IMO.

Gen
=================

I am not your Complaints Department.