Ensign
# 1 Underused Social Zones
01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
In the last month or so I have listened to two podcasts where Al Rivera singles out Bajor, specifically, as an underutilized social zone. I think that Bajor is a beautiful zone and I enjoy it anytime I visit, just like Risa. He correctly identifies that the problem is that there is nothing to do there. To me at least, I don't think that the fix for this is extremely complicated.

Why not have a daily in each social zone that rewards 480 dilithium. It works for Starfleet Academy. If these quests were there I would incorporate them into my routine.

I'm sure that I'm not the first to mention this.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
01-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I've also been saying this a lot of times this last few months.

The first step to make the already created social zones that seem abandoned more populated and allive is to make a certain set of dailies specific to each planet, much like those on Nimbus III. There are allways people on Nimbus III.

Furthermore, when creating story missions for the factions - have the story arc pass through those zones so people will be doing some missions there as well, again just like the Nimbus example.

Then add some special Doff missions that would be different and excluisve to each planet.

A good thing to do is add services - exchange, bank, mail, vendors in each of these social zones. Some of them have none, like Vulcan or Andoria for ex.

Finally add somekind of a competitive leisure activity that will be all about the fun and will only reward a small amount of EC perhaps, like swimming on Risa, iceskating races on Andoria or even some competitive PvP stuff like Ushaan tournaments on Andoria or bat'leth tournaments on Forcas III.

If all these things are implemented in the social zones, I bet all of them will be more frequently used and more allive in general.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!

Last edited by shpoks; 01-29-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
01-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Add some more RP elements to these zones too.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 4
01-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
Add some more RP elements to these zones too.
We both what will happen if you add RP element, some fleet I won't name will come and grief the RPer.
----

STO, featuring Admiral Turok.
Ensign
# 5
01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Shpoks, I like everything you have said but that seems like a long term goal. I dont get the impression that the devs currently have a lot of free time to develop multiple quests for each social zone.

My thinking is one painless dil quest for each zone to start off. I know I would make the rounds and I would enjoy it because the zones themselves are high quality.
Captain
# 6
01-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Yeah, I've also been saying this a lot of times this last few months.

The first step to make the already created social zones that seem abandoned more populated and allive is to make a certain set of dailies specific to each planet, much like those on Nimbus III. There are allways people on Nimbus III.

Furthermore, when creating story missions for the factions - have the story arc pass through those zones so people will be doing some missions there as well, again just like the Nimbus example.

Then add some special Doff missions that would be different and excluisve to each planet.

A good thing to do is add services - exchange, bank, mail, vendors in each of these social zones. Some of them have none, like Vulcan or Andoria for ex.

Finally add somekind of a competitive leisure activity that will be all about the fun and will only reward a small amount of EC perhaps, like swimming on Risa, iceskating races on Andoria or even some competitive PvP stuff like Ushaan tournaments on Andoria or bat'leth tournaments on Forcas III.

If at these things are implemented in the social zones, I bet all of them will be more frequently used and more allive in general.
Pretty much this, I want specific reasons to go to places, doesn;t have to contribute to the grand story arc of the game, but i'd love to have a mission or two to do there,

How about the Officer of the watch daily mission? something in that style where its not the same every day ( but more in depth than the daily on the fleetbase, they are very very short) also i have often wondered why we can do cadet inspections on fleetbases, feels like that mission belong on the Academy map to me

I'm also an avid supporter of making foundry missions that start in these zones avalible through a specific contact on the social hub

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Captain
# 7
01-29-2014, 05:34 PM
The best way to make "social" zones more popular is to have the chatbox auto-minimize.

Honestly, reading zone chat on ESD is like reading the comments on youtube. It's either barely filled with coherent whinging or angry bigotry. Will admit though, it was a huge eye opener with regards to other Trek fans.
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 50 Engineer - Fleet Avenger
Selia - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Avenger
Toval - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Mogai

Last edited by orondis; 01-29-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Captain
# 8
01-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
Pretty much this, I want specific reasons to go to places, doesn;t have to contribute to the grand story arc of the game, but i'd love to have a mission or two to do there,

How about the Officer of the watch daily mission? something in that style where its not the same every day ( but more in depth than the daily on the fleetbase, they are very very short) also i have often wondered why we can do cadet inspections on fleetbases, feels like that mission belong on the Academy map to me

I'm also an avid supporter of making foundry missions that start in these zones avalible through a specific contact on the social hub
I've been saying this for zones like these on every thread about them I can find. Maybe a half dozen short, varying assignments on the planet or in orbit around it that award like 5-20 marks of your choice, just like how officer of the watch is on the embassy and starbase. That and basic hub services would go a long way towards making these places inhabitable.

I think Bajor's biggest problem is just that the map seems daunting and complex at first. If you actually take the time to walk around it, it's very nice and not too hard to figure out.
Lieutenant
# 9
01-29-2014, 05:41 PM
I would love for EVERY semi-persistent map in the game (risa, bajor, andoria, nimbus 3, and all the stations like memory alpha and deepspace k7 and others) to have at least one daily.

But, my REAL HOPE is that the devs decide to give all these maps side-missions, elite boss spawns and random mini-events like Nimbus 3 has. Nimbus 3 also had an epic accolade that you can get if you do a ton of little things. Its soo cool!!!

I also would love to see EVERY MAP in the game, from space patrol missions to space/ground exploration random genned maps to each have dailies or little side missions.
As much as I love STO, it is kind of frustrating to enter an amazingly detailed map and only have objectives and anomolies to find that cover 5% of the entire map! The majority of most of these maps could easily have more things added.

Also, what about making Sector Space like the Dyson Space zones? Where there are TONS of "found missions" or more distress calls and more lead-ins to random genned content like patrols and exploration ground missions - but that are found while flying around.

I love this game and I haaate seeing players only spend time on ONE social map and ONE rep zone - and just que for stuff the rest of the time. I love the variety ingame but not everyone is like me where they wouldnt mind if they got rewards fast or dilithium or marks daily. I just play to have fun - whether i gain 10 ranks in a session or no ranks for a month. Whether I ge ta reward from rep this week or in 2 months - i do all the stuff ingame and keep moving to different things so that everything stays fresh. i could never stay in one zone for weeks or months as much as I might want some reward.

I hope that one day more is added to the CURRENT content - rather than keep expanding and making more content. Lets fill in all the blank spots in the stuff we already have.

EX: Every day players select special missions. Like if you are doing an episode, there a lil daily that pops up for that episode that says "kill 20/20 ships before episode ends and you get 480 dil or 3 marks" or "scan 5/5 bodies " or this or that. SOme of this stuff is accolade-worthy and some ARE accolades, but we can def have more lil things to do on all the amazing maps.

Hell, I spend 60mins+ on an episode that will take others 10 mins, just because i dont want to miss any cool things, but also because i dont want to leave those amazing areas without even pretending to interact and do extra stuff. Start small with a few mission or eps and then let it grow.

Lastly, can you PLEASE send a questionnaire or poll to ALL account holders. That way you can get feedback from the REAL MAJORITY of players, rather than the "vocal minority" who play on Tribble and are always on the forums or social sites?? The real majority of STO players are too busy PLAYING THE GAME to spend much, if any time on those things.

Having 200 players who all enjoy rank-rushing and skipping content to get to endgame and then you cater to them - that doesnt help all the people that would rather play the REAL game instead of tribble. Or instead of the fake foundry missions.

I for one would rather have 1 new professional REAL episode instead of 100 remastered foundry missions and im sure many would agree. Just an example.
Captain
# 10
01-29-2014, 05:45 PM
They just need vendors, and contraband drop off points.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.