Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
# 31
01-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
For us, when the game started under Atari, it used to be very different. So this change once PWE bought Cryptic is foreign to us. We know the game one way, and it has changed and mutated into another thing. Hopefully new players will understand how we old players feel about the game changing in such ways. It started off so very different, with different goals, and missions that provided instant reward, the grind then, isn't what it is now, and the whole grind + pay to get the whole thing is new as well.
I agree here, back when the game first went f2p it wasn't so bad but they continue to push more and more of the way f2p games that DON'T have a subscription side are run. this game is Hybrid and a lot of what is being pushed is unneeded at best. PWE is walking the line of p2w and it's scary of what will happen if they trip. I think if they stopped dumbing it down so my 5 year old can win top level missions they might see a higher return from the game rather than what they are doing to what was once a great game.

Check out my ideas for the game here
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-F
First., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon Wolf
Wolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
Cryptic Studios Team
# 32
01-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Mr. Justice,
Just want to say Love the videos! Keep them coming! I'm looking forward to what you think about the Anniversary FE. It was a blast creating it I hope you enjoy it!

To community,
The Doc has a great STO game play and ship coverage youtube channel! Subscribe people! And have a wonderful 4yr anniversary!!

See you all in game!
Former Ship Artist now Environment Artist @ Cryptic

\\// Live Long and Prosper
Career Officer
# 33
01-30-2014, 09:32 AM
If the daily mission to obtain "Qmendations" for the anniversary ships is anything like the Winter Event's mission, it boggles the mind that anyone considers it a real grind.

The Winter Event mission took all of how much time? A minute? If that...

And it's not like these ships are necessary to unlock additional content, as is the purpose of most grinds. I would go so far as to call them purely cosmetic, like virtually all top-tier ships.

I think some players could use a little perspective.
Career Officer
# 34
01-30-2014, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
I don't want to cause any fights among the playerbase, not my intent. I do however want the playerbase to voice their opinion on the topic so that Cryptic and PWE will hear. Will it change things? It may not. But we have to try, we are what makes this game happen after all.
We should not be so hesitant, Doc. Better to be heard, to be loud, even to be obnoxious, than to be quiet and let things continue as they are. We just need to make sure there's more to that voice than whining and tears.

Tell them what they're doing wrong. Tell them how they can fix things. Tell them we will not be silent. We will continue to voice our concerns. We care about this game and we want to see it flourish. We want it to be healthy. Players, Trek fans, should be able to enjoy this game without feeling like sheep. We want to support this game, but we will NOT be taken as fools any longer.
@HyperLimited
Captain
# 35
01-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn444 View Post
If the daily mission to obtain "Qmendations" for the anniversary ships is anything like the Winter Event's mission, it boggles the mind that anyone considers it a real grind.

And it's not like these ships are necessary to unlock additional content, as is the purpose of most grinds. I would go so far as to call them purely cosmetic, like virtually all top-tier ships.

A grind is not always determined by the length of the repeatable portion. More how fun that portion is and how often you need to repeat it.
Career Officer
# 36
01-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn444 View Post

do it for 9 or more toons for 25+ days, it is a grind, and a mindless one, if I'm going to repeat something over and over day after day then at lest make it a challenge and not something I can do before my morning coffee.

Check out my ideas for the game here
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-F
First., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon Wolf
Wolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
Career Officer
# 37
01-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhame3 View Post
A grind is not always determined by the length of the repeatable portion. More how fun that portion is and how often you need to repeat it.
Yes, granted. I never denied it was a grind, just that the term hardly seems apt to describe a daily mission that will likely take less than a minute.

And remember, you don't "need" to do something to obtain what's essentially a pretty skin.
Career Officer
# 38
01-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0kami87 View Post
do it for 9 or more toons for 25+ days, it is a grind, and a mindless one, if I'm going to repeat something over and over day after day then at lest make it a challenge and not something I can do before my morning coffee.
Then don't do it for 9 or more toons? Do it for 2 or 3? Voila! No more grind!

It hardly seems plausible you "need" 3 of the same versions of the 3 ships. You don't even need one of them.
Captain
# 39
01-30-2014, 09:47 AM
To be honest, the video was a little boring, just because i was staring at the same thing for the whole length of time. Aside from that though, it was a great video explaining what is happening.

I personally feel like this is a bad business model that reflects poorly on Cryptic as a whole. They've pretty much sucked all of the fun out of their thank you to the fans, and it bothers me that they're still referring to it as a free ship. I'm not sure if this is all just a recurring theme of Cryptic's bad business decisions, or if PWE has been forcing them to do things like this, but it seems very "One step forward, two steps back".

Of course what do you expect though from a company that won't even finish the character skins on a race you have to pay $200-300 to play as.
Career Officer
# 40
01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdrmiller View Post
Mr. Justice,
Just want to say Love the videos! Keep them coming! I'm looking forward to what you think about the Anniversary FE. It was a blast creating it I hope you enjoy it!

To community,
The Doc has a great STO game play and ship coverage youtube channel! Subscribe people! And have a wonderful 4yr anniversary!!

See you all in game!
lcdrmiller, thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it, it means a lot to me. I look forward to the featured episode mission, I have a gut feeling it is going to be epic. I like the progression of the main Iconian storyline, and I like where that is headed. Since we don't have Star Trek on TV right now in the form of a series, Star Trek Online fills that roll and provides new storyline and material. I would love to see STO's storyline on TV, it would be incredible.

Keep up the good work

P.S. now how do I get my channel posted on the front page :p
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us