Starfleet Veteran
# 31
01-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
It's funny, in TV production, the main reason to do a "bottle episode" is to save money by re-using existing sets, either by setting the entire episode on the ship, or repurposing the sets as something else (like using the Defiant set to represent the Valiant).

Taken literally, in STO a "bottle episode" would be any mission put together using existing assets - a mission set entirely on ESD or another social zone, without any new bells and whistles.

It would be really cool to have missions set entirely on a player's ship, but with custom interiors it's hard to imagine how it could happen.
Oh dont think the irony of that isnt lost on me Though at the same time, how often are we seeing the reuse of existing space/ground sets right now. This if anything might be a reason in itself to start a 'recycling' program
Captain
# 32
01-30-2014, 07:02 AM
I used to play as Satan's Robot in Elite Force 1 & 2, I say heck yes. Let the hilarity ensue.
Captain
# 33
01-30-2014, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No, it would have to be a pretty substantial thing. Think of all of the assets that would have to be made for it. If we're investing that much into something, it would have to be a big deal. Something like an event, or a big part of a season release.

Doing other Holodeck adventures would be equally expensive. Think about Dixon Hill, or Sherlock Holmes. There is almost nothing in the game that could be reused in such a mission. That's the problem.
Yeah... Hmm... I read this, and thought exactly this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by revandarklighter View Post
I don't know if that is possible, but since its the same engine... why not using some assets from champions online?
Or even neverwinter for "middle age holodeck stories"
PWE seems to want to advertise their other games, this would be (shudder) the perfect opportunity to do it, and would give you the perfect tool to measure how well such a feature would be used (and how worth it to develop something more from scratch...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlevelgod69 View Post
You're like a bad AI with no ability to question why you type these things down. Instead reacting like any scripted AI should. With conformity to the if-then-else logic you were scripted with.
Career Officer
# 34
01-30-2014, 07:16 AM
I think some of the assets could be cobbled together creatively to make some sort of Holodeck Adventure. If not quite Captain Proton, maybe using some of the TOS assets, the Ferengi whip, and some of the ancient ruins and such to create an Indiana Jones-esque thing. We've got dinosaurs, we've got whips, we've got goofy looking TOS Ray Guns, we've got giant spiders... slap on a filter to the zone so that it's in black and white, or better yet, 1960s-era television colors.

Not quite Captain Proton, but maybe a pulpy version of earlier eras. Maybe... "Captain Proton: The Next Generation" or something more "Indiana Jones in Space." I mean, what do Federation citizens like as cheap escapism? I can totally buy serial novel style holos about some adventuring space hero/heroine with a laser whip and a phaser blaster and a neat coat set back when space was wild and untamed.

Not everything in STO has to be grim and focused on the Iconians and our conflict with them. Some levity helps with the mood.
Captain
# 35
01-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Ok, then. Who here has played with the Foundry enough to be able to cobble together a "Proof of Concept" mission?

I have zero experience, or I'd try it (or know that there isn't enough there to work with...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlevelgod69 View Post
You're like a bad AI with no ability to question why you type these things down. Instead reacting like any scripted AI should. With conformity to the if-then-else logic you were scripted with.
Starfleet Veteran
# 36
01-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drreverend View Post
I think some of the assets could be cobbled together creatively to make some sort of Holodeck Adventure. If not quite Captain Proton, maybe using some of the TOS assets, the Ferengi whip, and some of the ancient ruins and such to create an Indiana Jones-esque thing. We've got dinosaurs, we've got whips, we've got goofy looking TOS Ray Guns, we've got giant spiders... slap on a filter to the zone so that it's in black and white, or better yet, 1960s-era television colors.

Not quite Captain Proton, but maybe a pulpy version of earlier eras. Maybe... "Captain Proton: The Next Generation" or something more "Indiana Jones in Space." I mean, what do Federation citizens like as cheap escapism? I can totally buy serial novel style holos about some adventuring space hero/heroine with a laser whip and a phaser blaster and a neat coat set back when space was wild and untamed.

Not everything in STO has to be grim and focused on the Iconians and our conflict with them. Some levity helps with the mood.
Actually, Im about 85% certain the energy whip is not available in the foundry for its use, though I suppose you actually mean for players to use.

Also there are no filters presently that would mimic what you ask, best you can do is fuzz things up with some of the atmosphere effects, or darken it .
Career Officer
# 37
01-30-2014, 07:39 AM
I would like a whole Bride of Chaotica FE-series. Bring on Robert Duncan McNeill to voiceover Tom Paris, who is a widely publish holo-novelist in 2409. Make one of his holo-novels bork out again and task us with fixing it for the old-timer. Make the parts where we are in-program black and white. Rewards could be personal holo-emitters and such. Would be fun.
REDALERT chat channel co-founder and operator
Lifetime Subscriber
True Veteran of Star Trek: Online
Captain
# 38
01-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Quote:
No, it would have to be a pretty substantial thing. Think of all of the assets that would have to be made for it. If we're investing that much into something, it would have to be a big deal. Something like an event, or a big part of a season release.

Doing other Holodeck adventures would be equally expensive. Think about Dixon Hill, or Sherlock Holmes. There is almost nothing in the game that could be reused in such a mission. That's the problem.
Hmm...okay. Just a "pie in the sky" thought here: could you do the "substantial thing" and then recycle this material in lock box rewards? Say, a half dozen special challenging/rewarding Capt. Proton holodeck missions which randomly drop from certain lock boxes? For me, I've only ever unlocked 2 boxes, more of a curiosity than anything. I've yet to see the ship that screams for me to open more. But if I knew I might also collect a half dozen special missions of my favorite monochromatic hero, or gumshoe, well I'd be more inclined to acquire.

EDIT: okay, going way out on the limb here, make each of those 6 collectible missions have one item that needs to be acquired by mission's end. Assembling all 6 items unlocks a 7th and final storyline in the chain in which the item needs to be used for victory.
Career Officer
# 39
01-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Quote:
I'd rather do Captain Proton as an episode. I've pitched it before, we could do it all in B&W.
I'd totally play a Captain Proton Episode. If not B&W, do it in old 1960s color television colors.

It'd be a wonderful change of pace from All Iconians, All the Time.
Career Officer
# 40
01-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castsbugc View Post
Actually, Im about 85% certain the energy whip is not available in the foundry for its use, though I suppose you actually mean for players to use.

Also there are no filters presently that would mimic what you ask, best you can do is fuzz things up with some of the atmosphere effects, or darken it .
But I'm sure the devs could pull that off.