Lt. Commander
# 1 Global Help Chat would be good
02-03-2010, 01:11 AM
My last mmo prior to STO was Fallen Earth. Now one feature that I really loved in Fallen Earth, was the global Help Chat Channel.

Like STO, Fallen Earth is one gigantic server with all players in the world on this one server. They have one or maybe two GM's in this Help Chat Channel, and here you can eavesdrop on others issues and learn that way or ask your own questions. It is really a great channel to have open while your adventuring because inevitably many questions you have are answered there. Often times, the helpful types in game also listen in and help out, answering questions.

The GM's are also available to help out with ingame issues, which is very nice having that kind of accessiblity. Additionally, they maintain the Help Chat Channel to keep it on topic which helps to cut down on the off topic chatter.

This is just a friendly suggestion. I think having that kind of accessibility and quick access to questions and resolution of in game issues would very constructive in fostering community/dev relations.

Ofcourse, we can also come here to the forums. But having it as a feature in game is very nice once you have gotten used to it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 01:13 AM
There is one if you go to the main STO page and look under community there is an irc chat room where cryptic devs and etc hang out and do help
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvin
There is one if you go to the main STO page and look under community there is an irc chat room where cryptic devs and etc hang out and do help
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 01:14 AM
It would be nice if we could access it from in game.... (can we?)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemix
It would be nice if we could access it from in game.... (can we?)
no but you can from the community section on the website and you can just alt+tab to it from the game
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Yes it would definitely be much better in game. Alt tabing all the time gets tiring and takes you away from the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 01:20 AM
The good thing about Fallen Earth is it's low population, and thus it's low Troll ratio.
It *might* work, but like Fallen Earth it would need constant moderation. I've seem Help chat degrade into fighting and name calling, guild recruitment spam, and just downright trolling, even there, and the mods flick the 'off' switch for a few minutes until it calms down.

Also, post level 6 in FE you're not auto-logged into the Help channel, so that only people who *want* to help (or want help) post level 6 actually join.

There's a risk that the high pop means more trolling, but the reverse it true, more people means more people willing to help. It's up to Cryptic if they want to take that risk.